Good Musicals: Do they exist?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Good Musicals: Do they exist?

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm

I don't like musicals and I don't like musical theater. I run into a lot of people who seem to share the same opinion, but I'm wondering if I'm unaware of some sort of little-known indie scene that is chock-full of great productions that Andrew Lloyd has purchased and locked in a vault somewhere so no one can hear them. Admittedly the bulk of my exposure is to what I guess are "mainstream" productions, Broadway etc. I think the closest I've come to enjoying one would be the film "Once", but even that was a bit of a stretch for me.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to say, "I was like you, but once you hear/see _____ you will never feel this way again!". I would love to be turned on to something I don't know about.

Anyone have any hot tips, or am I doomed to a Rent-free lifestyle forever?

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Few and far between, I would say, unless you just like Broadway-type shows. Some dance companies are edgier and more fun (some are dreadfully dull, of course).

Choreographer Alain Platel often uses a live (very good) band, Aka Moon, whom I've enthused about here before.

Internets video, of course, doesn't do it justice:

<embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/xkc3y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="339" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed>

That was VSPRS, which I loved. In their following one, "Pitié," the music was even better, but the show was not as good, I thought.

And Marc Ribot has composed for Ultima Vez.

I don't know why all these types seem to be Belgians...

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:14 pm

I hate musicals too. I got dragged to Spamalot. I drank beer at a microbrewery beforehand and I had to climb over this huge fat guy to take a piss. It was a bit long but not too bad. if you like Python might be worth renting a DVD if there's one out there.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:23 pm

I searched around for the Nets for Tooth of Crime, but everything I found was sucky college productions.

It has been guessed that Sam Shephard based the main character on Patti Smith (but in the play, it's a man), with whom he had worked earlier. (I think they may have been an item as well.)

It would be hard to do... very dated, and I would imagine the tone would be hard to get right. I've always wanted to try, though. Maybe one day I will, though I haven't even heard the music! The original or that of the T-Bone Burnett remake of the score in the 90s.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: Good Musicals: Do they exist?

Postby steve-o » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:I don't like musicals and I don't like musical theater. I run into a lot of people who seem to share the same opinion, but I'm wondering if I'm unaware of some sort of little-known indie scene that is chock-full of great productions that Andrew Lloyd has purchased and locked in a vault somewhere so no one can hear them.

No. All musicals blow. End of story.

Unless you're talking about Cannibal: The Musical, that is.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm

On a related note, there are plans for a musical of "American Psycho," or maybe should that be "American Psycho!"

I'm 99.99999% convinced that this will suck really hard. Unless they can actually get Whitney Houston and Phil Collins to be in it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:51 pm

I quite enjoyed Hedwig and the Angry Inch when I saw it off Broadway a hundred years ago. Which was kind of indie. But still super gay. In a good way. But that's the only musical I can think of that has any real "punk" aesthetic whatsoever.

I like all the classics though. Pretty much anything with Judy Garland or Julie Andrews. Or Fred Astaire. But I also love Patti LuPone.

Confession: I was way, way, way into Les Miserables in high school. Ask Phil. Pretty embarrassing in retrospect. But I was dating a theatre girl, so...what can you do?

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Okay, I'm about to lose all my indie cred, but 'Singin' In The Rain' is actually pretty awesome. If for nothing else, this kool sequence with Donald O'Connor:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FW02c5UNGl0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Okay, I'm about to lose all my indie cred, but 'Singin' In The Rain' is actually pretty awesome.

Not at all...I love that movie.

Also, 'West Side Story.' I guess it's because I saw it when I was a little kid and decided right then and there that I wanted to be in a gang. Then I reached the wise old age of about 10 and realized that real gang members don't sing and dance and don't dress nearly as well. I still think it's great though.

John Waters 'Cry Baby' featuring Johnny Depp, Iggy Pop, Tracy Lords, Patty Hearst, etc, etc. is probably the best musical ever filmed, though.

Return to “Rants and Raves”