Good Musicals: Do they exist?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:32 pm

South Pacific has some good moments.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I'm not going to bother reading this thread.

all I have to say is "NO! There are no good musicals."

Now everybody grow a pair and move on.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Grease is the word.

Grease changed my life. I didn't understand half of it, but I knew those dudes were badass. I remember thinking that "Won't go to bed 'til I'm thoroughly wed" meant that she would not rest until she got a ring on her finger.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6oWeaujOWXc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="325" height="265"></embed>

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Speaking of musicals, i saw the documentary called "EVERY LITTLE STEP" today.
It's about the 1975 Bway show A CHORUS LINE and the 2005 revival.
It's AMAZING.
I'm not a Bway person, but it's so full of drama, and heartbreak and reaching for your dreams.....it made me weepy, and I don't even have a heart!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:30 pm

Jake wrote:Grease is the word.

Grease changed my life. I didn't understand half of it, but I knew those dudes were badass. I remember thinking that "Won't go to bed 'til I'm thoroughly wed" meant that she would not rest until she got a ring on her finger.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6oWeaujOWXc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="325" height="265"></embed>

Loved this...but then I was ten at the time.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:06 am

steve-o wrote:
Fair enough. I actually enjoyed Hedwig, so I'll amend my previous statement. But the difference was the music was actually good.

Rent still makes me want to gouge out my eardrums with a rusty nail. I just do not get the appeal, especially to people who have otherwise good musical and cinema tastes.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N6Qq3gJhuE4&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>
posted, especially for you..

hehe, rent makes me smile and cringe at the same time. the actors, the dialogue, the songs, all are so ridiculous. it's genius really.
i've never actually went to a musical, but enjoy musical movies like the rocky horror picture show (with gadgets of course), hedwig, grease, the wiz (mainly because the hysterical way diana ross portrays dorothy) and dancer in the dark.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:09 pm

I saw Grease in the theatre with my cousins and probably had a little bit more insight than my younger relatives. I knew that Sandy had to dress like a slut before what's-his-face loved her
(((Shake Shack)))
I like musicals-I was a regular in my school's summer musical. Lots of great memories. Most notable performance was Charlie Brown in You're A Good Man. What sucked is that the kids that saw it (we toured the grade schools) later recognized me as a lifeguard at the pool when they got older. Every summer I had to endure "Hey Charlie Brown!" while I sat in the lifeguard chair, spinning my whistle trying to look cool. I also did Bye Bye Birdie, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, Kiss Me Kate, and others.
My wife loves musicals, which means that I have to look for opportunities to take her to the ones that stop through town. What sucks is that the facility that housed them was damaged in the flood last year and has not rebounded. They had a lot of great stuff lined up for the season.
The last one that I took her to was Rent. She'd never seen it, but loved it. Later that night, we had unprotected sex and I got AIDS.
Now, nobody will light my candle.
Her favorite is Less Miserable.
My favorite will always be The Music Man.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Tommy, anyone?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:45 pm

sab wrote:Tommy, anyone?

Sab, I know you have seen Tommy so do you really need an answer to this?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:52 pm

I mean, does anyone want to join me in giving Tommy some love?

Return to “Rants and Raves”