Worst/Best Rock Deaths

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Worst/Best Rock Death

The King - on the throne
67%
Mama Cass - death by ham sandwich*
No votes
Elliott Smith - stabbing yourself in the chest
No votes
Dimebag Darrell (Pantera) - shot onstage by fan
No votes
Hendrix / Moon - choke on own vomit
No votes
Michael Hutchence - autoerotic asphyxiation
33%
Marvin Gaye - shot by own father
No votes
Cliff Burton (Metallica) - crushed by bus
No votes

Total votes: 6

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Worst/Best Rock Deaths

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:13 pm

It can't be argued we all love music, and apparently we're all interested in death as well, so why not combine the two for the Worst/Best Rock Death Poll? Tasteless? Maybe. Informative? Not really. Time wasting? Absolutely. Anyways, I got 8 off the top of my head. I thought I wouldn't include all the drive-bys that have happened (Tupac, Biggie), nor the ODs (too many to mention), nor the fan-shoots-idol ones (Lennon, Selena), except I made an exception for Dimebag Darrell, as I believe he's the only one to be shot onstage while playing. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of though, so please add as you see fit.

*And yes, I'm aware that Mama Cass actually died of a heart attack, but as a staple classic rock story I feel you can't deny the ham sandwich

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Oh my lordy, I forgot maybe the worst/best one of all:

Peter "James" Bond / Mick Shrimpton (Spinal Tap) - Spontaneous combustion onstage

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:53 pm

If G.G. Allin had committed suicide on stage as he said he would, that would have won hands down. The night of his death was kooky, but the actual demise like that of any other junky...

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/a/GG%20ALLIN/g.htm

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Keith Relf - electrocuted by his own guitar
Berry Oakley - dying the same way as former bandmate Duane Allman, and only 3 blocks away

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Re: Worst/Best Rock Deaths

Postby Rikki Lixx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:46 pm

quasarwutwut wrote:I made an exception for Dimebag Darrell, as I believe he's the only one to be shot onstage while playing.

You mention Dime again, and I'll beat your ass.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Keith Richards falling out of a coconut tree would've been pretty great.

And wasn't Boogie Down Productions' DJ Scott La Rock shot to death onstage? Maybe not "rock," but still.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:08 pm

I keep hoping Fred Durst will expire in some way involving a rabid skunk, a hillbilly meth lab, and a haywire missile launch a couple miles away from an Army base. That would be awesome enough to convert me from atheism.

The worst death has to Elvis - checking out on the crapper. Rock-a-hula!

Kurt Cobain and Wendy O. Williams both went out kind of badass, IMO. A shotgun in the mouth says "Fuck this shit" pretty eloquently. So does stabbing yourself in the chest (if that's really what happened to Elliot Smith).

The most tragic rock death to me is still D. Boone - he and the Minutemen were just getting warmed up. Who knows what he could've accomplished?
Buddy Holly/Richie Valens (the Big Bopper doesn't count) would be more tragic, but they've been idolized and remembered pretty well. Same with John Lennon. How many people in this world even knew who D. Boone was?

Bob Stinson's death wasn't as tragic, but still sad. Stinson's idiot-savant guitar work was exactly half of what made the Mats great, and he drank himself into insignificance.

As for the best death? Maybe Nick Drake, just because of the timing. Had he lived, I think he would have wound up institutionalized. Better to burn out than fade away, right?

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:17 pm

I can't decide if Randy Rhodes was the best or the worst. It combines elements of both. Ultimately, when somebody dies it's never really the "best" thing.

But I think maybe John Entwistle came closest to the "best". If you have to go, then consorting with a high-end Vegas stripper with blow coursing through your bloodstream is a pretty decent way to check into the Great Hereafter.

Return to “Rants and Raves”