Hello Disappointment

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Hello Disappointment

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Okay so last night I sat down to watch the Neil Young profile on American Masters on PBS. I was very excited and purchased some alcohol and some 'funny' cigarettes to celebrate. I finally got my son to sleep and sat down in my easy chair to watch the show.

Neil wasn't on though. The TV guide was wrong, even though the program was listed clearly on my Comcast guide. Instead of Neil Young, PBS showed 'David Foster and Friends,' thus I was treated to a wonderful version of 'Glory of Love' (from the karate kid) by Foster and Peter Cetera. I think these things are done on purpose by the tv channel gods so they can have a good laugh at us.

This compares to the time in college when I threw a 'Bob Dylan Unplugged' party. I had taped Bob Dylan's appearance on MTV's Unplugged and then invited all my friends over for a big party to enjoy the show. When everyone came over, I hit play and Dylan came on but not Bob...Dylan McKay from 90210...I had taped 90210 by mistake. Of course I am still ridiculed to this day by these same friends.

So anyone have any funny rock and roll disappointment stories? Last night my wife was laughing at me and began singing along to 'Man in Motion (St. Elmo's Fire).'

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Same story last night. Boo! I almost called the PBS fundraisers and yelled at them for fucking with me. But then I just took a breath, finished my wine, and went to bed.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Jake wrote:Same story last night. Boo! I almost called the PBS fundraisers and yelled at them for fucking with me. But then I just took a breath, finished my wine, and went to bed.

yeah I had planned on writing this long angry letter to PBS, then Peter Cetera came on and he calmed me down (3 beers and a joint helps as well).

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm

My PBS station was only playing it on one of the alternate channels that's only available on over-the-air, not on my cable.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:11 pm

I had tickets to see Wilco and Sonic Youth in Central Park -- looked forward to it all day at work, started up for the park at 6:30-ish and found I had left my ticket at home. My friends, who hadn't forgotten their tickets, went up there while I in total fury had to go all the way to Brooklyn and then back up to the park, where I then got lost in the paths looking for the stage. I got there in time to hear the last chord of Sonic Youth fading away.

I wasn't a Wilco fan then either so their set didn't mean anything to me.

I held this whole thing against New York though it was my own fault.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Oops -- I suddenly think I've already described this fiasco to Glono. Hope your memories are as bad as mine.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:56 pm

When my daughter was 10 months old, I thought that it would be a great idea to take her and hubby on a road trip to Oregon, which included an outdoor Wilco show at Mcmenamins Edgefield. It was a beautiful summer evening and I met up with some dear old friends and found a cozy spot on the lawn with a great view of the stage. Moments after the opening act left the stage, my little warden had a meltdown and was completely inconsolable, so I ended up listening to the concert from my hotel room while she slept.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Funny, I was watching PBS last Saturday night because I saw The Bravery was going to be on Austin City Limits. I figured, "what the hell, I can kill an hour that way." Turns out they did the same switch with their annual pledge drive, so they instead played Roy Orbison and Friends. Not surprisingly, I wasn't that upset.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 pm

I went out with my roommate and his girlfriend to see Drive Like Jehu, I showed my ID, paid, got my hand stamped, and was about to go in when my roommate's idiot girlfriend says "Oops, I forgot my ID.". We were 18-19 at the time, and the door guy wasn't about to let her in without ID, so I licked my hand, rubbed the stamp off, the door guy gave me my money back, and we left. Drive Like Jehu broke up not long after that and I never got to see 'em.

I have, however, found youtube clips of that show. Here's one now!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLRPFVn4ivU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:32 am

For years and years I thought Faith No More and King's X were really good bands.

In this story I am the disappointment.

Return to “Rants and Raves”