Falling behind pop culture

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Falling behind pop culture

Postby jonas » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm

I realized today that I still don't know who Jon and Kate are. I don't mean that in the snobby "I'm too cool to care who these people are" way, I really mean that these people keep popping up on Yahoo and the front pages of the papers I see over people's shoulders on the train, and even on the CNN feed in the lobby of the building I work in, and I have no clue who they are. That's probably okay in isolation, but now I'm also seeing pop stars and movie stars who are utterly unfamiliar (who the heck is Megan Fox?? what or who is 'Speidi'?).

Never mind the aimless ranting...I'm feeling older than 45 today.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Falling behind pop culture

Postby miss carol » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:41 pm

jonas wrote:I realized today that I still don't know who Jon and Kate are. I don't mean that in the snobby "I'm too cool to care who these people are" way, I really mean that these people keep popping up on Yahoo and the front pages of the papers I see over people's shoulders on the train, and even on the CNN feed in the lobby of the building I work in, and I have no clue who they are. That's probably okay in isolation, but now I'm also seeing pop stars and movie stars who are utterly unfamiliar (who the heck is Megan Fox?? what or who is 'Speidi'?).

Never mind the aimless ranting...I'm feeling older than 45 today.

I'm not sure about old, but perhaps just gainfully employed. My friends who are new at-home moms know about about this stuff...and Oprah. I don't. I'm not sure if this makes me more or less in touch. Then again I can now pronounce the president of Iran's last name.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:11 pm

miss carol wrote:I'm not sure if this makes me more or less in touch. Then again I can now pronounce the president of Iran's last name.

Oprahdinejad?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:
Oprahdinejad?

Too clever!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 am

miss carol wrote:
I'm not sure about old, but perhaps just gainfully employed. My friends who are new at-home moms know about about this stuff...and Oprah. I don't. I'm not sure if this makes me more or less in touch. Then again I can now pronounce the president of Iran's last name.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

And they wonder why Republicans still get elected.

I know about Jon and Kate now, but who the hell is Speidi?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:07 am

miss carol wrote:Then again I can now pronounce the president of Iran's last name.

Ringo!

But re: Jon and Kate, here's the deal: they had a semi-popular cable reality show based on the fact that they had twins and then sextuplets. After I had a kid, I watched and enjoyed the show because it made me feel like my home life was calm and having one kid was indeed do-able. Plus, I like bitchy women, and Kate was always super anal, controlling, and kinda bitchy. Like if Martha Stewart had 8 kids. I'm into that.

Well, sometime last year (apparently) a photographer caught Jon out late drinking with some young ladies. The gossip rags pounced and paparazzi have been following them 24-7 since.

Personally, I'm a little baffled that there is so much interest in them because they were d-list (at best). But I guess if Us Weekly says it's important, it's important.

Americans love pointing out perceived hypocrisy. That's our thing. So if you're going to have a reality show based on your family, you better keep your family together. Or something. The whole thing is weird.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:21 pm

steve-o wrote:
I know about Jon and Kate now, but who the hell is Speidi?

A German superhero or a German swimsuit.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:05 pm

miss carol wrote:

Yeah, that's it. I'm only 26 and I didn't know who Jon and Kate were (or Megan Fox) until Jake just explained. I've been thinking about that a lot, lately. I mean, I'm only 26, and I had no idea there was a new Star Trek movie out.

Probably because, with 50+ hours of work a week and shooting for a doctorate, I've got more pressing priorities. Like watching last night's Weeds (don't spoil it for me!)

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:26 pm

There is really no mystery to the whole pop culture thing. 5 minutes a day on tmz.com and you would know everything there is to know about Jon and Kate and Megan Fox. But you probably have better things to do with your five minutes. Kate sucks. I love OctoMom. She's a real freak. And she don't need no philandering man to pull her shit off.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:10 pm

miss carol wrote:I'm not sure about old, but perhaps just gainfully employed. My friends who are new at-home moms know about about this stuff...and Oprah. I don't. I'm not sure if this makes me more or less in touch. Then again I can now pronounce the president of Iran's last name.

Phew. I like your explanation much better!

Return to “Rants and Raves”