Wilco (The Album)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Wilco (The Album)

Postby Baltimucho » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:04 am

Okay so it's been a week since the official release and many more weeks since it has been available. What do you think?

I have given it a few spins and already I have it ahead of Sky Blue Sky on my list. Standouts for me are One Wing, Bull Black Nova and Sonny Feeling.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 pm

I finally ran out and picked it up today after you (and others) made me feel a little guilty. I mean, come on. I'm a fan. Why didn't I get it day of release? I'd enjoyed the stream the one time I listened to it before they yanked it. So I got it. Good old Laurie's had in stock.

I've got a feeling that I could make a really solid mix of post-YHF Wilco material. Maybe not a "21 Best" but a solid 15.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Sounds like a challenge from Old Man Brown. New thread to follow...

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:42 pm

D. Phillips wrote:New thread to follow...

I think I'll hijack this one just a little bit, then - I finally heard this last week over at Jeremy's place and I came away thinking two things: 1) It's a great album - I really, really like it, and 2) I need to get a turntable. Like, seriously. It's been so long since I'd really *listened* to something on vinyl that I'd forgotten just how terrible ALL digital compression sounds.

So if you have any suggestions on a good, reliable, low cost, low maintenance but decent sounding turntable, let me know.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Joshua wrote:So if you have any suggestions on a good, reliable, low cost, low maintenance but decent sounding turntable, let me know.

What will you be playing it through? That's the crucial question.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:01 pm

sab wrote:What will you be playing it through? That's the crucial question.

Yeah, I'm not going to 11 with a tube amp or anything, but my current setup will do the vinyl justice - I have a Denon AVR-1905 receiver and some Klipsch floor speakers (not sure of the model number, but they're 2x8" ported with 6"horns).

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Joshua wrote:
Yeah, I'm not going to 11 with a tube amp or anything, but my current setup will do the vinyl justice - I have a Denon AVR-1905 receiver and some Klipsch floor speakers (not sure of the model number, but they're 2x8" ported with 6"horns).

I'm guessing your Denon doesn't have a phono input, at least my AVR-1603 doesn't. So you're either going to have to buy a separate phono stage and a turntable, or get something like the Denon DP-29F with a built-in phono stage:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/529.asp

My $0.02 is that a much, much better used turntable can be had for $100 or less, and you can get a decent phono stage for similar money:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Stor ... DQodIDvu4g

Or perhaps even more interesting, you can just use a nice vintage receiver as your phono stage. I have a Marantz 2238 that I use for just this purpose, as my Jolida amp does not have a phono input.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks, Jeff - I was looking at Needle Doctor before I posted. I'll look into it a bit more and maybe come back if I'm still unsure. Much appreciated.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Technics SL-1200 all the way, baby!! But yeah, you're gonna want a phono stage to "translate" the lower-level phono signal to something your Denon's gonna be able to work with. But this is the last turntable you'll ever need.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Sigh. I remember those, Murph. What a thing of beauty.

Return to “Rants and Raves”