somethin good

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

somethin good

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:05 am

Okay so I'm feeling a bit down today - maybe its the economy or just my shitty job is taking its toll.

So help me out here - What are some NEW good bands that you are into? I mean a good band that gets you excited about music in general or picks you up.

I'm burned out and a good music buzz today would help. You guys are the experts and I pretty much have the same taste in music as most of you, so I'm open to anything really.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 am

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals is my current favorite.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm liking the new Wilco and the new Dinosaur Jr. I'm also really liking Stuart Murdoch's new "God Help the Girl" project: like Belle and Sebastian but with girl singers and more blatantly 60s sounding.

Also, as for feel-good music, you can't beat Art Brut:

So many bands are just putting it on
Why can't they be the same as their songs?
I can't help it, I'm so naïve
Another record with my heart on the sleeve
Is he as cool, as he writes them?
Not always and hold that against him

I can't believe I've only just discovered the Replacements
How have I only just found out about the Replacements?
Some of them are nearly as old as my parents
How have I only just found out about the Replacements?

I want to love them but I'm can't be sure
I've been let down so many times before
This time I really want to believe
Another record with my heart on the sleeve
I hope I've finally found a band
That's not gonna let me down

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Not really uplifting or new but I am digging a nice mix I made called Fitted Shirt comprised of:
Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
Peter Doherty - Grace/Wasteland
Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement
Last two Oasis albums
Last two Spoon albums
Elvis Costello - This Year's Model and Armed Forces
Loads of Rocksteady and 1st Wave Ska

For new stuff, check out our Cool Band Alerts, my favorite of which is Portland's own 1776.

I'll think of more because I know you're specifically looking for new gear.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks guys! I'll check some of that out - I can always count on ya'll! :)

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:44 pm

I've been listening closely to "JJ No. 2" by JJ. It's a really good, relaxed beach-y pop album with some electronic stuff thrown in (I know, that sounds like a description for just about every indie album made in the last 5 years).

But this one is very good. Like if Air France were an actual band. Some congas and marimbas, Carib rhythms, etc. But sugary sweet harmonies that are perfect for when you just wake up on a nice day.

Highly recommended.

Edit: And, yes, Jake is right about the new D Jr. It's fantastic.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Jake wrote:I'm also really liking Stuart Murdoch's new "God Help the Girl" project:

I'd like to second this. I mean - I'm not seconding that Jake likes it, but saying that I like it (a lot).

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 pm

jonas wrote:
I'd like to second this. I mean - I'm not seconding that Jake likes it, but saying that I like it (a lot).

I have everything Belle and Sebastian came out with, so this is next on my list.

Dino Jr. - I had heard a new single on XM the other day and I love it. Its good to see these guys back! When I hear them, it always brings back college memories.

I picked up on this guy named Robert Francis recently - he was on Carson Daly one night (which is funny - what the hell was I doing watching Carson Daly). Its hard to describe him - he's sort of a Pete Yorn/My Morning Jacket mix maybe. Very slow and dreamy pop. You guys might like him.

Also I dug out some old T-Rex - a band I never dug too deep into. I picked up the remastered version of 'Electric Warrior' with the extra tracks and I'm really enjoying that as well

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:08 am

Y'all know that I am not afraid to plug my hometown bands, but this band Annuals is one of few that my wife and I agree on. Great CD and amazing live. And yes, the girl is in the band.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KrvHb29nGxY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Return to “Rants and Raves”