Songs my kid loves

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 pm

My niece is almost 4 and loves Jay Reatard, because she likes to dance to it and she thinks it's especially silly that he's laying in a bathtub on the cover of the record (http://penumbrae.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/ole-822-matador-singles-081.jpg).

She also loves "It's 5!" by Architecture in Helsinki, "Beach Party" by Air France, "Frontier Psychologist" by The Avalanches ("You're crazy in the coconut" is her new go-to phrase), and she also likes Passion Pit a lot. She loves to dance, what can I say?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:39 am

quasarwutwut wrote:We too have been experiencing the joy of Muppets S1-3. A huge kick for me and my wife, and my kid really loves it.

Does it get better as it goes on? I just picked up Season One, and we turned it off about 20 minutes into the first episode because we were all bored stiff. What season featured Alice Cooper?

By the way, the latest (arguably) non-kids song my kid loves is "Henry VIII" by Herman's Hermits. If anything, we're hoping it teaches him to spell his name.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:08 pm

Jake wrote:Does it get better as it goes on? I just picked up Season One, and we turned it off about 20 minutes into the first episode because we were all bored stiff. What season featured Alice Cooper?

Agreed. We just found out the same thing. I remembered it being much more entertaining than what that season demonstrated, but I'm too gun shy to buy any more seasons now.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:59 am

Season 3 is my favourite: Gilda Radner, Roger Miller, Alice Cooper, Loretta Lynn...

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Dreamin wrote:Season 3 is my favourite: Gilda Radner, Roger Miller, Alice Cooper, Loretta Lynn...

Definitely the best. But Jake you're right about it being dopey and slow. I guess I should have clarified that: my kid realllllly likes the muppets themselves, but he gets bored with about 1/2 of each episode. My wife and I enjoy the kitsch aspect, and for whatever reason the insanely terrible puns and old vaudeville jokes completely entertain me. I mean, it's TERRIBLE (think "Veterinarian's Hospital" with Rolf and Piggy and Janice where it's nothing but one bad one-liner after another), but it was clearly designed that way, which I don't remember being the case. I guess you have to be in the right mood, but a lot of it Is pretty bad.

Don't buy anymore; we'll let you borrow ours.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Funny this is brought up about the Muppet Show.

A few months ago the kids discovered a VHS tape I had that was a best of with episodes featuring: Mark Hamill(as Luke Skywalker and including Star Wars characters), Paul Simon, and Racquel Welch. Oh my god that tape is ALWAYS on. Our 3 yr old loves loves loves it. Especially the Star Wars skits. She thinks they're hilarious-plus her brother is a Star Wars geek so she associates that episode with him.The plus side out of this is she thinks the Paul Simon song "loves me like a rock" is so awesome I had to borrow a greatest hits from the library and rip it for her. She loves that song!

Lately however I have discovered she will dance hard to Love Story by Taylor Swift( I want again mommy, again again) and I caught her rocking out to a 38 special song on the radio, telling me to turn it up. She really loves music in general.

However if Daddy pulls out the guitars and starts playing she screams at him to make him stop!! But he CAN play the "tin man song". aka If I only had a heart. hee

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:57 pm

Ok this thing was being weird for me so I couldn't finish last message.

About the Muppet show-yeah after realizing the kids loved the episodes we had I went to library to get the first season. Holy CRAP was it boring!!

I LOVED LOVED this show as a kid! The guest stars though were soo...umm old and not exciting? There I said it. It must get better a couple seasons in huh?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 am

Both of my kids developed a love of Jonathan Richman and the Ramones pretty early on, and both still love them.

tongue-tied lightning
GLONO Board Playa

Postby tongue-tied lightning » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:19 pm

I was a proud pop when my 5 yr old heard Revolution rock by The Clash, and said I love this, play it again.

Band On The Run is a fav too

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:45 pm

The latest is "Moab" by Conor Oberst. He loves to shout the "NOTHIN' the road cannot HEAL" chorus. I attempted to get him on video, but of course he won't do it right once the camera comes out.

Return to “Rants and Raves”