Dear Sugarcubes Forever,

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:18 pm
Location: GLONew England

Dear Sugarcubes Forever,

Post by jonas »

I broke my 30GB iPod this week because I am a stupid-ass motherfucker, and now I am thinking about taking the opportunity to upgrade to more capacity. Among my options:

- mail it in for repair, say ~$90, and forget the extra drive space. what kind of idiot needs more than 30 GB? learn to organize, dumbass.
- buy a new one with more capacity, possibly waiting until September to see what's new. bright and shiny!
- buy a Zune 80/120, which a bunch of co-workers have (surprisingly) recommended. who makes that again?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on that last option, as well as anyone's thoughts on whatever MP3/video device they're using now.

Thanks in advance.
DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:21 am
Location: close enough to say Chicago
Contact:

Post by DJMurphy »

Grounded5am will probably try to sell you on the Zune...

I myself don't own one yet, and Worpy's always giving me shit for that. Why should I, when the CD player in my car works just fine, thankyouverymuch!
quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by quasarwutwut »

Rumor has it the next set of iPods are going to be all like the Touch, and that they're doing away with the hard drive ones all together (the Classic, etc.). As in, they're going all flash drives. That's theoretically better because flash drives don't have moving parts, therefore they shouldn't break so easily, therefore you should get more shelf life out of your iPod. That's the theory anyways. If you sit on it in your back pocket it'll still probably snap like the $200 twix bar that it is, but at least it shouldn't get fucked up if you shake it too hard while screaming along to Brokencyde.
Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:43 am
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Dear Sugarcubes Forever,

Post by Little Timmy »

jonas wrote:- buy a new one with more capacity, possibly waiting until September to see what's new. bright and shiny!
How about a 32GB or 64GB iPod Touch with camera and honest-to-God microphone? Can you say mobile Skype phone?

I don't know, I'm a strong believer that Winchester hard drives and mobility do not mix. I've done everything to my Nanos short of firing them out of T-shirt cannons, and have not managed to break one yet.
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dear Sugarcubes Forever,

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

jonas wrote:I broke my 30GB iPod this week because I am a stupid-ass motherfucker, and now I am thinking about taking the opportunity to upgrade to more capacity.
Ahhhh. You too have now experienced what it feels like to receive the Apple sleeper hold. The product worked so well that you were lulled into the fantasy that it always would, that you'd live on that cloud of Appley goodness for ever and ever. 30 gigs, hell yeah! They sent Neil Armstrong to the moon with a computer that was like 1k. 30 gigs just a couple years ago was like being the first white man with a gun on the great plains, gazing out at a herd of a million Buffalo and exlaiming as you fired off round after round, "these monsters will last forever there's so many of em!"

Alas, 30 gigs ain't schiat, my friend. And that false sense of security you had was actually what if feels like right before you lose consciousness.
ecesa wrote:
Among my options:

- mail it in for repair, say ~$90, and forget the extra drive space. what kind of idiot needs more than 30 GB? learn to organize, dumbass.
You do have to do a little organizing, man. But it shouldn't be that tough. Just back your shit up. Hopefully you have a mainframe or a server or a computer of some kind in your flat that has a ginormous hard drive. Hopefully you own a Mac, otherwise you won't even understand the language I speak and everything I'm typing right now will look like this when you read it:
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah iPod blah blah blah blah Mac blah blah blah blah Satan blah blah blah blah blah......
I hate organizing my junk too, but I find that if you keep your tunes primarily on your big arse laptop or all you gotta do is sync your iPod now and then.
ecesa wrote: - buy a new one with more capacity, possibly waiting until September to see what's new. bright and shiny!
A crazy Jew named Jake Brown told me once that waiting for the next version of of whatever computer, operating system or processor is a fools errand. Cause 6 months after you pay way too much for that POS it won't be worth half of what you paid for it and there'll be a better one.

If you're gonna buy a new one, buy it now. The product life cycle even at Apple is so short you'll never be able to keep up with it unless you're some kind of perverted metro sexual who hangs out at the Apple Store downtown and spends all your money on 50 different silicon covers for your iPhone.

If you're like that, I can't fucking help you. Other than to tell you that IF YOU are that type of person, the best thing you can do for yourself and the planet earth is to put a heavy duty plastic bag over your head, tape it tightly around your neck with duct tape and rub one out for the last time.
ecesa wrote: - buy a Zune 80/120, which a bunch of co-workers have (surprisingly) recommended. who makes that again?
The people you work with are scum.

If you do something that horrific it would be a sign of psychosis. It would mean that you could be institutionalized.

Don't do that.

ecesa wrote: I'd appreciate your thoughts on that last option, as well as anyone's thoughts on whatever MP3/video device they're using now.

Thanks in advance.
My final suggestion is that you buy a new iPod with the biggest memory available today. Buy it from the Apple Store. Buy the extended 3 year warrenty, so when you do this again ( and you will do it again..and again) it won't cost you $90 each time.

When you go in there to buy that brand spankin' new iPod, bring that busted 30 gig paper weight with you, along with $90 in cash. Make an appoinment, cause unlike Starbucks, the Apple Geniuses don't let you talk to them just cause you walk up to the bar. Your god damn name needs to be on that big flatscreen behind them on the wall first. And to get your name up there you gotta call them or reserve a space via their web site and the intertubes. At your appointment give that too many liberal arts degree holding, gap pants wearing Apple Genius geek your $90 bucks and have them send that thing in for repair.

In the end you'll have a bigger iPod that will allow you to slip back into the mellow yellow of being an iPod owner. And when reality stomps that mellow like Sarah Palin at a NOW convention, you'll have that 30 gig puppy on deck to hold your sorry self over till your warrentied 120 gig comes back from the Apple Shipyards in Silicon Valley.

Never forget that there are no stupid iPod questions or iPod owners, only stupid fuckers who own some other junky thing that plays music and makes them less than you.

Peace Out
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:00 pm

Re: Dear Sugarcubes Forever,

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

Little Timmy wrote:
How about a 32GB or 64GB iPod Touch with camera and honest-to-God microphone? Can you say mobile Skype phone?
Skip the iPod touch. If you want a music machine, buy the "120 gig" classic. If you want to poke it all day and smear your palm grease all over it for hours on end, get a 32 gig iPhone.

In my superior opinion the Touch Screen version is not as good for chillin' out and listening to your tunes. Not because it sounds any worse, but because of the interface. Have you ever been dancing around in your underwear with your ear buds on, Touch Screen in hand and your eyes closed, only attempt a thumb only command on your iPod? Of course not. You can't. You gotta stop your rockin' out, open your eyes and negotiate that smooth mofo's glossy glass. Cause with a touch screen you can't do shit without unlocking the screen and slobbering throught the interface with your eyes open. Yeah, the "shake" feature is nice for shuffle, but that's about it.
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG
Posts: 3122
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Sugarcubes, I like the cut of your jib.

Zunes...ha ha! Join the social!
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: (((IOWA)))

Re: Dear Sugarcubes Forever,

Post by worpswede »

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:My final suggestion is that you buy a new iPod with the biggest memory available today. Buy it from the Apple Store. Buy the extended 3 year warrenty, so when you do this again ( and you will do it again..and again) it won't cost you $90 each time.
Exactly what I did-'cept from the website because they offered free shipping and I got to get "Stop tearing up my anus, Bill Gates" engraved on the back of it. Then, when I got it, I began bugging Jake with questions like "Why'd they forget to include a power button?" and "Where's the RCA jacks so I can plug it into my cassette recorder?"
DJ Murph wrote:I myself don't own one yet, and Worpy's always giving me shit for that. Why should I, when the CD player in my car works just fine, thankyouverymuch!
Because I would always have to allow at least an extra 15 minutes every time I left the home to go down to my CDs and figure out which discs to bring with me. Now, a big chunk of my collection and a half-dozen amateur action porn movies can come along for the ride every time without waiting. Plus, I can whip up a killer road playlist in no time that lasts for hours.
jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:18 pm
Location: GLONew England

Post by jonas »

It's evident (at least to me) that I made the right decision to call out Sugarcubes. At first I was leaning toward buying the 'classic' 120, but then I started getting distracted by a bunch of other choices. So thanks for the level-set and the rant, man...if you were a chick I'd seriously dig you.

As for getting the current paperweight retooled as backup, I don't think I need to. I'm pretty sure the new one will last forever.

L8r & thx,

jonas


PS to Touchsters: my wife has the Touch and I don't much like it, except for the part where I can leech off unsecured wi-fi when I need quick access to the internet.
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: (((IOWA)))

Post by worpswede »

jonas wrote:L8r & thx,
jonas
So you're Rikki Lixx! I owe Sven an apology!
You sly dog!
Post Reply