Liz album???

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Liz album???

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:44 am

Anybody heard the new Liz Phair disc? Looks like there's some tepid reviews already:

http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/ ... ex_np.html

I don't file swap (poor connection, not for lack of trying), so I haven't been able to search for it prior to the release date.

Are any of the GloNo staffers planning a review? I seem to recall that the GloNo Godfather himself has been known to go a little weird over Ms Phair......

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:52 am

Johnny got the advance. There'll be a full article/review shortly. I'm too close to the subject, ha ha.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:02 pm

Stay tuned - Liz piece is on its way.
JTL

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:27 am

That's Not Phair! by Johnny Loftus. Download H.W.C. (Windows Media).

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

I continue to harp

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:38 am

I have no problem with pop, or Liz Phair making the poppiest pop record in popdom. If the tunes are actually good. "Supernova" and "Never Said," for example, are great pop tunes.

It occurred to me that there must be some weird "whip the women into saleable shape" thing going on at the majors these days. Liz is singing outrageously poor tripe on Leno. Jewel is boogeying in dance outfits. What about that girl from Veruca Salt who seems to have done exactly what Liz did only she's not as famous so we didn't really notice it was even her?

[Musically-minded readers: Have you ever noticed how many hit songs, in rock format and especially for females, have that iv-IV-I-V chord progression in the chorus, eg., Am, F, C, G or Em, C, G, D (a la two Jewel songs, two Sarah Mac songs, I think that Veruca Salt lady, Joan Osbourne's "God," and zillions more? Wazzupwitdat?]

Flipping channels, I saw Liz (looking remarkably like Sheryl Crow) on Leno last night. My wife rolled her eyes through the whole, sub-ultra-pedestrian tune, and looked at me like "Why are we watching this?" "It's Liz Phair," sez I. She refused to believe me.

I harp and harp, but it's fascinating, and ultimately very sad for anyone who loves music and respects Phair, watching this horrible lie in the name of sales unfold. Because it's that bad. Kinda like how Clinton could've been the Reagan of his party but chose to fritter his credibility away with an endless parades of lies. Now you see him and its just sad, or more accurately, pathetic.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:42 pm

Three different reviews from the Village Voice. Man, is Christgau a fucking nutjob?

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:21 pm

Fucking Christgau. Why am I not surprised? Because his desire to appear as though he's having an original thought about music overrides the necessity of having one. "I like the idea of Avril Lavigne." What kind of uber-under "hipster-to-be-square" diarrheaic idiocy is that, Christgau, you steaming baboon?

And may I add the collected vapidity of those three reviews combined to cause me to lose more brain cells than I do when I'm huffing gas&glue? Though the first two were not nearly as clearly insane as Who-Died-And-Made-Him-Christgau.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Sales

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:41 pm

According to Hits Daily Double, Liz's album sold 37,380 copies in its first week, debuting on the charts at number 23.

That's behind other new releases by BEYONCE (#1 with 331,018), MICHELLE BRANCH (#2 with 157,846), THREE 6 MAFIA (#4), CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE (#15), GANG STARR (#20), and LUMIDEE (#22).

History: Exile made it to #196 on Billboard in 1994. Whip-Smart made it to #27. And Whitechocolatespaceegg got to #35 in 1998.

Amazingly, the White Stripes are still selling over 30,000 copies of Elephant each week after 13 weeks on the charts!
Last edited by Jake on Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:43 pm

The above shit is hilarious. Good job Barabjagal!

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:07 pm

Christgau is on crack.

Return to “Rants and Raves”