Liz album???

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:00 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Such a tough choice...

How is it a tough choice? It's a piece of crap, don't buy it. Buy an album from someone who actually needs and deserves your support.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:05 pm

Buy an album from someone who actually needs and deserves your support.

Yeah!
http://riviera.gloriousnoise.com/music.php

DP

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:15 pm

DJMurphy wrote:So is that travelling up or down the charts?

Up up up. Every week.

There are five bad songs on the album. There are also five pretty good songs and four great songs. Stay tuned for an upcoming article about Liz Phair 2003, The GLONO Edit. I've finished my tracklisting and am currently putting together the cover art...

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:46 pm

five bad songs, five pretty good songs, and four great songs? what are you talking about? there are no duds on this cd. all 14 tracks are excellent. i have bought several cd's in the past few weeks( including the dashboard, the u.k version of retrospective by suzanne vega, and the eels new one to name a few) but i keep listening to liz phair's new one. i don't know why but i really love her cd.

mike

Postby mike » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:04 pm

i don't just get why all these liz phair fans suddenly turn around and stab her in the back. fans? more like people here are only fans when they want to be. it also sounds like liz phair can only do things that are approved by the so called fans. eveyone it seems needs to get a grip and breathe a little. the cd is not THAT bad. in fact it's not bad at all. for once liz actually sings instead of trying to like she has before. she has more confidence and that is a plus. aonther thing that i notice about the new cd is the irony of it all. one of the catchiest songs hot white cum can't even be palyed on the radio. and her current pop hit, why can't i?, is a song about the joys of cheating. typical pop material? there are just some thoughts to chew on. enjoy your weekend.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:27 am

mike wrote:i don't just get why all these liz phair fans suddenly turn around and stab her in the back. fans? more like people here are only fans when they want to be. it also sounds like liz phair can only do things that are approved by the so called fans.

Dude, of course people are only fans when they want to be. They're fans when they like the music. Nobody's stabbing anybody. Nobody signed a contract saying, "I promise to like every piece of music this artist puts out." Liz Phair is allowed to choose what kind of music she makes, and we're allowed to choose to believe it sucks, if we're so inclined. Look, it boils down to this: she used to be a cool indie chick, now she's working with evil Avril hit-makers the Matrix. She sounds like Michelle Branch. Michelle Branch at least has the excuse of being young. We can allow for the possibility that her music might (I know, it's a stretch) mature. Liz Phair, on the other hand, seems to have regressed.

mike wrote:a song about the joys of cheating. typical pop material?

Umm... "Saving All My Love for You," Whitney Houston? ...anybody? Seems like a pretty typical pop subject to me.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:06 pm

Jake wrote:Week Ending: 8/8/2003 Hot AC Chart
#13: 1,859 total plays

CHR/Pop Chart
#47: 763 total plays

Week Ending: 8/15/2003
Hot AC Chart
#13: 1,968 total plays

CHR/Pop Chart
#45: 940 total plays

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:37 pm

The version of "Why Can't I" that the radio's been torturing me with lately sounds slightly different at the beginning. Is it?

mike

Postby mike » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:35 pm

i could be wrong but "saving all my love for you" sounds like it's about someone saving themselves for someone whereas why can't i? is about not saving yourself but instead cheating. two different things. i don't know of many pop songs, esp. those sung by women, about the joy of cheating. also as far as liz phair not being the indie queen she once was. so what? i'm sorry but indie music is too stifiling. people talk about pop music being maded by the labels and how much you have to conform to get on pop radio. but to me indie music is just as conforming if not more so. i mean at what point did it become more important to please the fans than it was to please yourself. if liz is pleased with the cd then that's all that matters. no offense but artists like liz phair didn't go into music for the fans. the music is not about the fans. the product and what's packaged is where the fans come in. anyway that's my 2 cents. it's not much but it'll do

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:43 pm

Return to “Rants and Raves”