Liz album???

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

mike

Postby mike » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:02 pm

i don't get the world of music anymore. maybe i'm growing old. first i read fans bashing the new liz phair cd and now i read fans bashing the new radiohead. what the?!?!?!? i might be able to see the liz phair thing(she's not as popular or has had a bigger impact on the music scene as radiohead.) but not liking the new radiohead? i realize it's not ok computer but so? i am tired of fans not liking an artists' new work because it's not ok computer, pinkerton, or exile in guyville. i just wish everyone would cut thse artists some slack, esp. liz phair. they don't owe you anything. and to the perosn who posted earlier about whether or not they should buy the new liz phair. go ahead buy it!!!! it is not that bad as everyone claims. hell i told my sister to buy the new liz phair. i even told her that hail to the theif or the bends would be a great starting point for someone who's never heard any of radiohead's stuff. had to vent. no hard feelings i hope.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:34 pm

Jake wrote:Week Ending: 8/15/2003
Hot AC Chart
#13: 1,968 total plays

CHR/Pop Chart
#45: 940 total plays

Week ending: 8/29/2003
Hot AC Chart
#10: 2,173 total plays

CHR/Pop Chart
#42: 1,266 total plays

"Why Can't I" still on the rise on the radio charts. I've also been noticing it getting played in the background on tv shows like "The O.C." The album, however, fell off the Billboard Top 100 albums chart.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:46 pm

"Why Can't I" still on the rise on the radio charts. I've also been noticing it getting played in the background on tv shows like "The O.C." The album, however, fell off the Billboard Top 100 albums chart.

Proof of the push, but not the pudding.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:01 am

I'm revisiting an old topic here, but in reading through Mike's posts it seems that he's taken up the position that fandom requires you to like everything an artist does, and that the only opinion worth expressing is one that supports an artist or a release. Sorry, Mike, but that's bullshit. Your position says that if I like Radiohead's "The Bends" and "OK Computer" that I must necessarily like "Hail to the Thief." Why? Bands change their sound and their focus all the time. They're certainly not under any obligation to cater to the taste of fans or an established sound. Why does that mean you have to like the new direction? What if I hated "The Bends" but love "Hail?" Am I allowed to change my opinion of a band for the better? It just doesn't make any sense. Maybe you're reacting to what you perceive as whining, but this is a music message board, and in my limited experience with such boards, whining seems to be a favorite passtime.

You also go on about the stultifying ghetto that is "indie rock" and it's obvious limitations.. the gruelling need to conform to be indie. Conform to what? Let's say that we all agree that Calexico, Guided By Voices and Slobberbone are all more or less indie. What sound would you say they're conforming to? They sound nothing alike, but they all sound great to me. I know there's a snobbism and elitism intrinsic to the community of indie fans, but so what? I don't think that attitude, which I'm certainly guilty of more often than not, extends to the bands at all.

I guess what I take from your posts is the message that once you like an artist, you have to like everything they do or you weren't a fan in the first place; that negative opinions have no place in being freely expressed and debated; and that indie rock is a cul-de-sac with few artistic returns. That's what I get from you, but I don't understand why you think any of those things.

mike

more to life than music

Postby mike » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:53 pm

i have not been saying that once you like an artist you have to like all their work. not true at all. my main beef was with the elitist indie snobs. but i learned a very valuable lesson over the past weekend. i learned that life is not all about music and that i shouldn't let this whole liz phair thing get me so upset. i have had my heart crappped by someone very dear to my heart. we are trying to work things out i hope but in these past couple months i lost sight of everything and now i am paying the price. i have a lot of work on myself that needs to be done. in the meantime i never meant to hurt anyone or upset anyone. i just got lost on something that i sohuldn't have. everyone here makes very valid points. i hope that there is no ill will here on anyone's part. this isn't in response to any one comment made on here that was directed at me or towards me but rather a response to a harsh wake up call that i have received. i hope that everyone has a nice weekend.

tammygun

Postby tammygun » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:52 pm

liz phair was on bill maher last night talking about how downloading is wrong. i think she may be against it b/c i downloaded her new alubm and it SUCKED so i didn't buy it. sorry elizabeth.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:54 pm

After having fallen asleep with a radio on in the background last night, I was woken up by what I would guess to be the second single release off her album being played on XRT at about 4 a.m.

Amazingly, in my somewhat braindead state I actually thought it sounded good.

Then again, I was half asleep, and disoriented. So maybe I just imagined it was good.

Northern Wanderer

Postby Northern Wanderer » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:03 pm

tammygun wrote:liz phair was on bill maher last night talking about how downloading is wrong. i think she may be against it b/c i downloaded her new alubm and it SUCKED so i didn't buy it. sorry elizabeth.

I thought the exact same thing. I own Guyville, Whip-Smart, Whitechocolatespacegg, and the Juvenalia EP...but NOT her latest. Same reason, too; tried it out on MP3, didn't like what I heard so I moved on to other artists.

off-topic: One thing that annoyed me about that show was Maher ranting against special treatment for farmers (subsidies) when they're such a small portion of US workers as a whole. Then he immediately changes gears and rails against file sharing, apparently completely oblivious to the special treatment congress gives the music industry (DMCA, HARA, etc.)

Billy Green
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Billy Green » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:44 pm

on liz phair: the new album is bad, but it's better than most of the poppy pop albums you can buy at the store. i won't bother to buy it, though. i have to save some money for when the degrassi: the next generation dvds come out.

on bill maher: i like real time, but didn't see the liz pair episode. is he against file sharing so much that he wants it to be illegal? if so, it's would be hypocritical of him since he has supported the legalization of marijuana. which, you know, rather tends to be more harmful than file sharing.

oh yeah, and hello.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:19 pm

I didn't see the episode but Jake and I were discussing it last night with our buddy Keenan Hebert over $1 Pabsts. It seems that Bill has a very limited understanding of the issue and has absolutely NO understanding of sampling, of which he's also against. I actually really like Bill Maher but he should shut up about this shit since he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Return to “Rants and Raves”