Time for a new stereo--advice?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Time for a new stereo--advice?

Postby Nicolson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 am

My Aiwa system (11+ years old) is finally giving up the ghost. Any recommendations for a shelf system that you have and like? I'm hoping for something that: has an Ipod dock and CD player; aux port for a turntable; decent sound for under $200.

I'm tempted to ditch the CD player and go all digital...but then I look at the piles and piles of CDs, and it makes me too damn sad. (I think I'm finally ready to give up my tape decks though.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

This is a great topic. I'll be really interested to hear what people recommend. I'd even be willing to ditch the phono-in (turntable can be hooked to component system) and up the price to around $400 if the sound is good.

Right now the "kitchen" system is a silly little iPod dock by JBL called On Stage II. Sound is mediocre to okay. The footprint is tiny and it's fine for what it does: Elizabeth Mitchell, Pete Seeger, and Conor Oberst songs for my kid while he plays.

But I'd like to get something with a CD player...and something that sounds better.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:25 pm

When it comes to bookshelf systems, my opinion is the electronics aren't as important as the speakers. My advice is buy a low-end Sony or JVC system w/a cd player and an iPod dock, then get some nice little JBL speakers.

I used to have a pair of these JBL Northridge E20's hooked up to my desktop computer and they sounded awesome. I used a cheapo Aiwa all-in-one stereo.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I have grown to love my Tivoli Audio model satellite (which means it has Satellite Radio built in), and I would totally recommend a similar model as a bookshelf stereo. They have versions with CD players built-in, versions with iPod docks, and they all have aux-in ports. You can get a separate stero speaker and even a subwoofer. Either way, they sound is deep and rich. My personal recommendation would be to avoid getting anything with a built-in ipod dock if you hope to keep it for another 11 years, because that shit is bound to be useless in another year or two. Buy a separate dock and go in thru the aux-input. http://www.tivoliaudio.com/home.php?cat=262
Seriously, these things are totally classy and look and sound top-notch. Also, they are built like tanks.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:59 pm

amighty wrote: http://www.tivoliaudio.com/home.php?cat=262
Seriously, these things are totally classy and look and sound top-notch. Also, they are built like tanks.

I've always like the look and sound of those. But can you get out of there without dropping a grand?

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Jake wrote:I've always like the look and sound of those. But can you get out of there without dropping a grand?

Yeah, looking over them, they are kinda pricey - although in the long run they're worth it. You CAN get the "Model Two", which is stereo, for $299, and add an external CD player and/or iPod dock. It seems pretty anachronistic to ask $299 for the matching CD player, considering you can get a walkman for $35.

No matter what, be wary of the Denon systems - I struggled with a beautiful but constantly malfunctioning bookshelf system for years.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:49 am

I've been struggling with my shitty JVC component system for awhile now. The right channel goes out intermittently and I have to whack it to get it back. It's always kinda sounded like doo doo anyway. I don't have any money so I'm having to resort to charity for my hi-fi needs.
A friend is giving me a turntable and a mixer. I have a couple of turntables, but i wanna get a sturdier/scratchy/mixy one to match the one I'm getting.
(I should be rocking clubs in L.A., Tokyo, and Ibiza by spring. Keep an eye out.)
Another friend of mine is getting into DIY electronics pretty heavy and I'm trying to convince him to make me a stereo tube amp.
My old man has some old 70's/80's vintage gear that I'm gonna set up as soon as I get the space. It's gonna be perfect for weekends full of cheap weed, expensive beer, and Sabbath, Van Halen, and Thin Lizzy cranked to muthascratchin' 11.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:07 am

amighty wrote:My personal recommendation would be to avoid getting anything with a built-in ipod dock if you hope to keep it for another 11 years, because that shit is bound to be useless in another year or two.

Point taken on the question of an integrated dock.

I've been looking at a couple of Onkyo shelf systems...the more expensive one is XM radio capable, which, honestly, I have no use for--but people rave about the sound quality of the speakers (though they appear to need some time to get broken in.)

The lower-end model seems to run about $250, and a dock will set me back another $80-100 for an Onkyo dock. That's a bit more than I can afford, but not completely out of my price range.

I may take a trip to a few electronics stores this weekend to see what's out there and give some things a listen.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:16 am

I just want a little doohicky that I can plug in my Ipod and listen to Fall records while I'm cooking.
Can we expand the recommendations for that too?
Nothing too expensive and nothing too audiophile.
I put this on my Amazon wish list (it has tubes!).
What say you?
What say you better?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:18 am

creepy wrote:My old man has some old 70's/80's vintage gear that I'm gonna set up as soon as I get the space. It's gonna be perfect for weekends full of cheap weed, expensive beer, and Sabbath, Van Halen, and Thin Lizzy cranked to muthascratchin' 11.

This description sounds like what my primary system is.

Return to “Rants and Raves”