Time for a new stereo--advice?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:37 pm

izzat a 1200? sweet.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:46 pm

DJMurphy wrote:This description sounds like what my primary system is.

Ah, the Murphy man-cave. Everytime I see it all I can think of is 'Shaun Of The Dead', for some reason.

Worp, you should check out the JBL On Time. For $125, it's a good bargain for a table-top all-in-one.

Yes, I sound like a JBL rep, but I've never had a bad experience w/JBL.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:51 pm

creepy wrote:izzat a 1200? sweet.

Yup. Nothin' but the best. Take all yr laser-tracked Rega Stanton plutonium-stylus'ed megamonsters; give me my SL1200, and I'm in heaven when she smiles.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:23 pm

I don't know about "man-cave," because that look like my dream basement with bookshelf lined walls. A girl can dream...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:51 pm

miss carol wrote:I don't know about "man-cave," because that look like my dream basement with bookshelf lined walls. A girl can dream...

Not quite the stuff of dreams, sadly. Except for the dreamy sound system, the rest of the basement is only semi-finished. I wish I could tell you that there are multiple bookshelves lining the walls full of fascinating books, but in reality, those are the stud-frames, with semi-exposed insulation. Also, there's an old fridge, washer/dryer, second-hand couch and chairs, a carpet remnant, and a lot of storage stuff. But all the music down there makes it an awesome cave nonetheless.

The nickel tour.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:08 am

On the cheap ipod dock front, i highly recommend foregoing the purpose built docks and get yrself a 1/2 way decent set of computer speakers. They're small, powered, and cheap. I got some factory reconditioned Harman Kardon's for under $15 that I use in the garage. They're not world beaters but I've gotten years of use out of 'em for next to nothing.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Here's another question for you all: Where do you go to shop for electronics? I'm all in favor of Amazon, etc....but where do you go to give things a listen before you buy? I took a trip to Best Buy and a few other places over the weekend and was totally annoyed by the complete inability of sales people to answer any questions. When I said I wanted something I could hook a turntable up to, people looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:22 am

Nicolson wrote:Here's another question for you all: Where do you go to shop for electronics? <snip>....but where do you go to give things a listen before you buy?

This is where I probably deviate from the norm. I've either used myself or have had close family use Etronics.com for my higher-end electronics purchases, coupled with what I've read about said products in Epinions.com, and haven't been disappointed yet. The days of going into United Audio Center or Stereo Studio with a knowledgeable sales staff are gone; now, we get the minimum wage folks at the big boxes. Ain't the future grand? (I just have this awesome image going of Don Cheadle trying to peddle 8-track stereos in Boogie Nights, but he doesn't even have a good line of bullshit to fall back on. That scene was priceless.)

Nicolson wrote:When I said I wanted something I could hook a turntable up to, people looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

The technical term you're going to want to ask for is either a phono stage or a phono preamp (it's the same thing, IIRC), assuming that the receiver you either have or want to buy doesn't have one built-in. Here are a few links to what I'm talking about:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_057ATPEQ3/ ... eamp&ssi=0
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745PP3/NAD ... eamp&ssi=0
http://www.etronics.com/p-34941-thorens ... reamp.aspx

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Worp, you should check out the JBL On Time . For $125, it's a good bargain for a table-top all-in-one.

I've got the JBL On Stage II in my kitchen and it's aiight, but nothing to write home about. The one with tubes(!) in Worp's Amazon Wishlist is cheaper and looks way cooler. Get that one, dude, and let us know how it sounds.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:18 pm

DJMurphy wrote:The technical term you're going to want to ask for is either a phono stage or a phono preamp (it's the same thing, IIRC), assuming that the receiver you either have or want to buy doesn't have one built-in.

Right, I was telling them I needed either a phono stage or an auxillary port that I could use a turntable and preamp with...and I got many blank stares. It was sad.

I think my search is getting narrowed down to an Onkyo CS325 or (if I really want to splurge) a Denon D-M37. Both are pretty basic, but get decent reviews for sound and seem like they can get the job done for sound in my tiny apartment.

Return to “Rants and Raves”