Time for a new stereo--advice?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:14 pm

I'd like to add another bit about shopping for electronics at big ol' stores like Best Buy: do NOT buy cables from them. Any kind. They mark that shit up so much it's ridiculous. A coworker turned me on to cablesforless.com and I have used them ever since. Not only did a Best Buy sales associate tell me that you can't chain HDMI cables together (you can), and that they don't sell anything anything like that there (turns out they did), and that me "asking for a cheap 20' HDMI cable is impossible, anywhere I go it'll be at least $80" (which is what they wanted). Got mines for $22 at cablesforless.com. I will rep the shit out of that site, because they gots what I needs for less money, and they don't talk back to me.

I also am looking to get a new stereo (currently rocking an original Bose SoundDock - which is fine). I have some decent bookshelf speakers, I just need a no-frills amp/tuner with aux jacks for whatever. I would assume that would be easy to find and under $200, and damned if I'm not having a hard time finding such a thing.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Another site for cheap HDMI cables: http://monoprice.com/

I bought two "High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 10ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK" for $4.44 each. Shipping was $5.95, so the grand total was $14.83, and I received them a couple days later. Awesome.

The cheapest HDMI cable at Best Buy was a 5 ft one for $30. It's a racket.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:02 am

Your search has ended, Nicolson-behold, the McIntosh MXA60:

Designed by the same team of renowned McIntosh engineers who created the company’s high performance Reference System, this ultimate-quality tabletop system features a high-performance 75-watt-per-channel amplifier, state-of-the-art CD/SACD/MP3 player, vacuum tube preamplifier, as well as an AM/FM/RBDS Tuner and high performance, two-way bass reflex loudspeaker system that packs all the legendary McIntosh sound into a smaller package.

Only $7,500!

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 am

Nicolson wrote:
Right, I was telling them I needed either a phono stage or an auxillary port that I could use a turntable and preamp with...and I got many blank stares. It was sad.

I think my search is getting narrowed down to an Onkyo CS325 or (if I really want to splurge) a Denon D-M37. Both are pretty basic, but get decent reviews for sound and seem like they can get the job done for sound in my tiny apartment.

I got a phono pre-amp at J&R. They knew EXACTLY what I needed. That's here in NYC though, and I don't know how their online help is. They definitely have a good one though - and it's pretty cheap. About the size of a fist.

Also, I'd try b&h photo/video. They also know their shit. After all that, I'd go to Amazon.com and order the same thing for less.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:20 am

worpswede wrote:I put this on my Amazon wish list (it has tubes!).
What say you?
What say you better?

I say it is a 10 wpc piece of shit with tiny little 3-inch speakers. No information is given as to what kind of "tube technology" it uses, but you can rest assured this thing is garbage for only $100. You can't even build a simple SET tube amp for that much money.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 am

Nicolson wrote:Here's another question for you all: Where do you go to shop for electronics?

Salvation Army, Craigslist, thrift stores, and the occasional trip to independent stereo shops that sell used gear. (Like this one: Fred's

Seriously, for the amount that you spend for new consumer gear, which is mostly garbage, you can pick up totally awesome used vintage stuff. I have well under a grand sunk into my audio systems here in the house, which contains two complete component systems, an extra set of speakers, a reel-to-reel, and countless other pieces of gear. The best thing about buying vintage gear is that you can usually resell it on CL for about what you paid for it, or more, as you will always find something better if you keep looking.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 am

Nicolson wrote:I think my search is getting narrowed down to an Onkyo CS325 or (if I really want to splurge) a Denon D-M37.

That Denon system is okay, but I would stay away from the Onkyo. That crap is sold at Target.

Seriously though, even for the $200 you'd spend for an all-in-one, you can piece together a really nice system from used stuff and even get real speakers.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:32 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Your search has ended, Nicolson-behold, the McIntosh MXA60:

Only $7,500!

It is pretty, but for that price I'd have to be able to live in it for the next 14 months.

Turns out the stereo search is on hold until after Christmas, since I realized I should be getting some dough for the holidays. So that may up my budget a little bit.

The search continues...

(I would be interested in hearing more thoughts on the idea of a good sounding table-top ipod dock though.)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Don't buy an iPod speaker (if you care about sound quality)

I don't know why, but it seems like almost every iPod speaker I hear here at CNET is a wretched sounding thing. Most have screechy treble, lumpy bass, and vocals never sound remotely human.

As always, you get what you pay for, and the cheapest ones tend to be the worst offenders, but hey, they're cheap.

Some, going for upwards of $300 are somewhat less horrible, but for three hundred bucks you could actually buy a nice set of hi-fi speakers.

Did our own Sab get a job writing for CNET?

By the way, I have that Klipsch 2.1 system the dude writes about hooked up to my computer. I think it sounds awesome.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:39 pm

This looks dope: the MiniWatt, a $229 vacuum tube amplifier that wows audiophiles.

Return to “Rants and Raves”