Ten Years Ago

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Ten Years Ago

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:05 pm

Where were you ten years ago? How did you celebrate New Years 1999?

I was at a party at a friend's house who had recently gotten married to a Christian Reformed Hollander. I was in the kitchen drunkenly babbling with strangers when the husband called me out for saying "god damn."

"You can't say that," he said, dead serious. In the next breath, the dude asked me if I wanted to hit his oney. Grand Rapids is a weird fucking place.

We split after midnight to go to the Intersection to hang with the Mustard Plug gang.

Happy New Year.

#10yearsago
Last edited by Jake on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:07 pm

Hmm, I was with my then-girlfriend/current Mrs. Murph at a party thrown by a college friend and her now ex-husband. The party wasn't the most fun in the world, but it was cool to kiss my ladylove at the Dawn Of A New Millennium. Remember when that seemed like such a great thing? And look at the last 10 years. Aside from the great marriage I do have and the great kids I now have, so much of the '00s SUCKED. Sorry, they did.

NYEve 2010 will be a quieter affair for us than NYEve 2000. And our world has nowhere to go but up!!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:16 pm

Ten years ago I was in Ottawa, with my then in-laws, playing with my ex's nephew, and nursing said ex back to health. A year later, we had all split up and all I was nursing was a drink. For me, it's been a decade of growth and aging in fits and starts. Let's hope 2010 begins a decade of grace, wisdom, and smoother sailing.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:03 pm

It was the only time in my life I put on a suit and went out for new years eve. I lost 90 pounds that year and i got sloppy drunk. The Bride of Sven gave me the serious talking to that I better straighten my shit out. Here I am ten year slater making Kaluah /rum drinks in the blender for us after starting on the rum and cokes at 3:30 and a couple three Arrogant Bastard Oaked Ales after that. Guess I haven't straightened out much. I think I'm gonna get the talking to again.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:01 pm

I was standing by a bonfire on the beach in Tofino, BC watching fireworks with my husband and his family. My husband and I spent the next decade fixing up an old house that needed major TLC. This year, we decided that we wanted to have a life again, so we "broke up" with our house. Life is too short to be owned by your stuff.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:25 pm

I was at a house party in Winnipeg, doing my best to get comfortably sloshed on rye & cola. Comfortably sloshed = feeling groovy but not to the point where one starts falling down on one's face, peeing your name into snowbanks, and/or asking the nice police officer to marry you.

After peeking my head out the window at midnight to double check that, no, the power grid did not fail and jet aircraft weren't actually precipitating out of the sky like so many snowflakes, I resumed the rye & colas.

This year, pretty much the same thing, minus the Y2K stuff and a switch to diet cola with my Crown Royal. There's also a bottle of pinot grigio cooling on the patio and some Chinese takeout on the way, so depending on how things transpire I wouldn't rule out the peeing in the snowbank bit just yet.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:57 am

I have no fucking clue what I was doing 1999 on New Years Eve.

But here's to 2010 - let's hope this is a better year.

Fuck you, 2009. You sucked.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:50 am

I decided at the last minute to go see Wilco and Steve Earle at the Riviera in Chicago. My lady and I were living in Evanston at the time and took the El down for the show. I nearly choked when I paid the $150 for our two tickets and only felt a little better when Tweedy apologized from the stage for the high price. It was a great time though until Y2K wiped out all of civilization and we had to start all over again.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Ten Year Ago

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Jake wrote:Where were you ten years ago? How did you celebrate New Years 1999?

I was at a party at a friend's house who had recently gotten married to a Christian Reformed Hollander. I was in the kitchen drunkenly babbling with strangers when the husband called me out for saying "god damn."

"You can't say that," he said, dead serious. In the next breath, the dude asked me if I wanted to hit his oney. Grand Rapids is a weird fucking place.

We split after midnight to go to the Intersection to hang with the Mustard Plug gang.

Happy New Year.

#10yearsago

I think I was at that Mustard Plug show.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Ten Year Ago

Postby Jake » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I think I was at that Mustard Plug show.

You were also at the party with the Christian stoners.

Return to “Rants and Raves”