Where to begin with the Fall?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Where to begin with the Fall?

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:26 am

Everything I know about the Fall seems like they were made especially for me. And yet, I don't have/know any of their music. What's the best place to start?

I have emusic (who has 19 Fall albums), and have no qualms about cherrypicking or "best of" comps.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:17 pm

The Frenz Experiment is a great place to start.
Good tunes from start to finish.
Leave it to MES to dismatle this line-up-perhaps the band's most loved period.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Frenz Experiment is great, and one of my favorites. I slightly prefer This Nation's Saving Grace and The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall, but whatever. All 3 of those are winners. If you like them, start digging into their late 70s stuff, too. The albums aren't as cohesive, but the singles are amazing.

If you're just looking for a best of, you could do worse than that A-Sides comp that emusic has. Can't believe "The Classical" isn't on there, though!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Ad wrote:Frenz Experiment is great, and one of my favorites. I slightly prefer This Nation's Saving Grace and The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall, but whatever. All 3 of those are winners. If you like them, start digging into their late 70s stuff, too. The albums aren't as cohesive, but the singles are amazing.

If you're just looking for a best of, you could do worse than that A-Sides comp that emusic has. Can't believe "The Classical" isn't on there, though!

I'd agree: all three records are great. I've recommended Frenz to first- timers in the past and have gotten positive feedback from them afterwards. But if you can wrap your head around any one of those albums and like it, you'll be ready to jump into the rest of the catalog.
I'm not a fan of best-ofs, particularly when the band's catalog is as vast as The Falls but yes, "The Classical" should be one any Fall compilation.
Hell, it should be on Now That's What I Call Music compilations because it's so awesome.
Hey there, fuck face!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Why don't you douchebags compile a list of 21 Songs Jake Must Have?

1. The Classical

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:47 pm

The Fall? Really, Jake?

Ugh!

You are insufferable.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Anonymous wrote:The Fall? Really, Jake?

Ugh!

You are insufferable.

the experiment is working!

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:58 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Why don't you douchebags compile a list of 21 Songs Jake Must Have?

1. The Classical

Ok, then. Here are some of my favoites:

2. Hey! Luciani
3. Totally Wired
4. Lay of the Land
5. Cruisers Creek
6. Mr. Pharmacist
7. C.R.E.E.P
8. Victoria
9. Couldn't Get Ahead
10. Carry Bag Man
11. Industrial Estate
12. How I Wrote "Elastic Man"
13. Touch Sensitive
14. Mother-Sister!
15. New Face in Hell
16. I Feel Voxish
17. Psycho Mafia
18. Last Orders
19. I am Damo Suzuki
20. High Tension Line
21. Kicker Conspiracy

All of those are from early days through the late 1980s. I know that a lot of Fall records from the 90s and 00s are supposed to be good, but I'm not as familiar with them. I need to look into more of those. (Worp, if you can give me a couple to start with, I'd appreciate it!)

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm at work and just had time to compile a few tunes, thinking that you'd come up with at leasr another ten. Looks like you overachieved! I liked seeing similar joints between us.

1.) Totally Wired
2.) Last Orders
3) Impression of J Temperance
4.) The Man Who's Head Expanded
5.) Couldn't Get Ahead
6.) Smile
7.) I Am Damo Suzuki
8.) Bremen Nacht
9.) Cab It Up!
10.) Telephone Thing
11.) Glam Racket (ha!)

And I'm afraid my collection died after Extricate but picked up after the great Real New Fall L.P. which is on par with their best albums. Has anyone read MES's autobiography?

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:17 pm

It's funny you mentioned his autobiography--I placed the order for it last night! This thread reminded me that it existed.

(And I'm at work, too. Just don't particularly care for my job at the moment. Choosing 20 of my favorite Fall jams is a much more enjoyable task.)

Return to “Rants and Raves”