Helter Skelter bass

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Nerds.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:45 pm

creepy wrote:Nerds.

Maybe so, but there's a whole ton* of people out there who care about the bass on Helter Skelter.

Worps: It's awesome. There was a previous post somewhere on here about it. It's a wealth of information, seems to agree with and build on everything in The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, but goes even more in depth with stage layouts, gear, instruments, track sheets... everything. And from a purely aesthetic standpoint it's a beautifully put together book, regardless of the subject. The art direction is really, really cool. If you're the kind of guy who really likes Lewisohn's book, then you'll really like RTB. At the very least it makes a nice conversation point when a friend like Creepy comes over, sees it on your coffee table, and then kicks sand in your face and steals your best girl.

Jake: nice researching. I'm particularly impressed with George's "Two of Us". That's a really smooth line, and once again something I definitely thought was Paul. But Harrison is a smooth dude, so that's pretty cool.

*"ton" is the native word for "four" in Papau New Guinea

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:47 pm

This akin to Milli Vanilli. Fuck the Beatles!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:54 am

Only other ones I could find flipping through Revolution in the Head:

George played bass on Birthday.

John played bass on Rocky Racoon.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:06 pm

I was just listening to the remastered stereo White Album. The bass is shockingly loud on "Helter Skelter." Almost to the point of distracting from the guitars and everything else.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Helter Skelter bass

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:48 am

quasarwutwut wrote:You're right, you're right. Paul rocks, no doubt about it. I just always held that as his most rockin' bass part, and it threw me for a loop when I found out it wasn't him. But it's his song, it's one of my favorite Beatles songs, so I take nothing away from Sir Paul. And, to be fair, he's not playing bass because he's playing guitar, and it's a mean guitar part. But I do sound stoned in that, don't I? I was at work late (again), so that's Sort of like being stoned... no, wait, it's nothing like being stoned. sigh.

And I learnt them facts from both The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions and my favorite, Recording The Beatles. Both said it, so's I's believes it.

The fact that John Paul Jones could and still can destroy anything either Paul or John ever did makes this entire "conversation" pointless. I will put the worst Zepplin disaster up against Helter Skelter any day. Shit, John Entwistle could kick their asses too. I'd even put Getty Lee before those soggy liverpudlians!

ANY DAY, MUTHERFUCKER!

It's like arguing about whether the '70' Challenger or Camero was the best of it's time. All the while ignoring the fact that Ferrari or Porsche exist. Yeah, nice V8, but it's bolted to four tons of dead weight!! For that matter, Dale Erhardt couldn't drive in anything but a straight line. How hard is that? I never saw that redneck SOB pilot an F1. Schumacher would have put him to shame!

In the battle for best on bass there can be only one. Now bow down to Zepplin and forget about it!

Peace & Love, Peace & Love!
Last edited by Sugarcubes Forever on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saucy Jack

Postby Saucy Jack » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:12 pm

[quote="Sugarcubes Forever"][/quote]
I'd even put Getty Lee before those soggy liverpudlians

At'd be Geddy Lee love. No worries. Never met a bird who fancied Rush enough to know the bloke's names anyway.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Saucy Jack wrote:
At'd be Geddy Lee love. No worries. Never met a bird who fancied Rush enough to know the bloke's names anyway.

My bad. I've misspelled that canuck's name too many times, eh!

Return to “Rants and Raves”