@ConanOBrien on Twitter: Boo fucking hoo.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:50 pm

But that's not what most of the uproar was about and I am surprised I have to point it out as I thought it was fairly obvious.

Trust me, if you don't give a rat's ass about Conan O'Brien you just wonder to yourself why you come across it everywhere - FB updates, Twitter, the newspaper, McNeil-Lehrer...it's certainly not "obvious".

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:13 am

D. Phillips wrote:"If you think it's funny, that's cool. I don't."

Stop following him then.

Baloney. We should call people out when they're not meeting our critical expectations. It's our obligation as fans.

Self-deprecation is one thing. This is another. You can be -- and before he got shitcanned, Conan usually was -- self-deprecating without being "boo hoo pity me." That's what I'm talking about.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:32 am

Seems to me like everyone wins here thanks to NBC's stupidity. Leno gets to keep the 175 people working on his show employed and feeding their families. Conan walks away with 32 million for himself, nice fat severances for his staff and a measley 9 month non-compete. In the fall Conan can do another show if he wants---11pm head start on Fox? Maybe Conan can find a nice niche with the younger demographics and make his new show profitable for Fox or some other network. And hopefully he can go nuts and do more absurd stuff and less political humor. The airwaves are saturated with political humor. More PimpBot. Less politics.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 am

@ConanOBrien wrote:This is only my 5th tweet and I’m already exhausted. My God, how does Ashton do it?

That's pretty funny.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:32 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Here was a guy from our generation (or close to it) finally hosting the Tonight Show--which despite arguments to the contrary is still a cultural clarion (see our never ending discussion of it for proof)--getting shafted yet again by a Boomer who can't let go.

Amen.

Our generation is so getting fucked by the boomers, and it's only going to get worse when these damn kids start getting in on more of the action. There are only so many orifices...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:48 pm

sab wrote:Our generation is so getting fucked by the boomers...

One small point of contention regarding this specific example of fuckery. The main fucker of Conan (born in 1963) was Jeff Zucker (born in 1965). So in this case, our generation was fucking itself to appeal to Boomers...who still apparently actually watch TV.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Well, those are the details of the reality but this whole hullabaloo is in reaction not to reality but to the perception that Jay Leno (Born April 28, 1950) jacked Conan O'Brien after tanking the ratings for the 11:00pm news lead-in and that a corporation backed the old horse over the new one. Is that fair? Is that true? Who cares, our feelings were hurt! Most people don't know or give a shit who Jeff Zucker is.

By the way, I don't subscribe to the whole victim mentality that Boomers are screwing us. At least, not when it comes to the job market. It's competitive, stop crying.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Jake wrote:Jeff Zucker (born in 1965). .

GODDAMN TWEENER!
Clean your baby womb, trash that baby boom
Elvis in the ground, there ain't no beer tonight

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:43 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Most people don't know or give a shit who Jeff Zucker is.

Most people don't know dick about shit. And that's the real problem with...well, just about everything.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:02 pm

What's all this talk about dicks and shit and fucking? Am I still on a music site?

Personally, I hope the talk about Conan going over to Comedy Central or some other cable network works out. Then he could get really out there.

Meanwhile, why hasn't anyone told me about Craig Ferguson? I know my work schedule doesn't allow for a lot of late-night talk show watching, but damn...that guy's hilarious!

Return to “Rants and Raves”