Sven's Beer Review Two

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Sven's Beer Review Two

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Victory Brewing's Old Horizontal Barleywine Ale

After 20 days of no good beer the inevitable happened--cold and sore throat. No surprise there since the combination of hops, grapefruit, pine needles and esters in the ales I was drinking kept me healthy all winter despite the sleep deprivation that comes with the rock star lifestyle. Treatment was needed. I went in with the intent of picking up a couple of 4 packs of Dogfish 90 to nurse over the weekend. But Victory Brewing's Old Horizontal caught my eye. It was dusty from sitting on the shelf but no big whoop with high alchohol barleywines--they don't spoil easily. in fact some say they get better with age like wine. Whoodafuck knows?
I remember reading a review of this beer but I didn't recall the beer nerds overall opinion or the alchohol content. $13-97 a sixer--blasphemy for Rikki Lixx who gets a whole turdy pack of Miller Lite in cans for that price.
But when I got home I creamed my jeans to find out that it was a whopping 11%ABV. THE MOST POWERFUL BEER THE SVENSTER EVER DRANK! Here we go loop dee loop. I had Victory Brewing products before with mixed results. Their Hop Devil Ale at 6.3 ABV is very good. Their lager is overpriced and meh. Victory's Golden Monkey High Alchohol Belgian Tripel Something or Other has a cool label but tastes like someone splashed Bacardi in a good fruity beer. Yuk. Made me puke once.
I was confident that Old Horizontal was a good choice because it's in the same family as Hop Devil and after two 12 ounce bottles I'm right. To me it tastes similiar to Dogfish 90 only stronger and probably a bit cheaper overall. And maybe a little less hops than Dog 90 which actually makes it more drinkable. As Sailor Ripley said in Wild At Heart "UH-OH!" Watch your pour peoples. You can eat off the top of this with a spoon like a backed up Granny gobbles her oatmeal. Victory Brewing is located in Downington PA so I don't know if you Glonoids can find it where you live. But if you need treatment or just a very powerful beer to treat a cold on a cold spring night,
ME RECOMMENDO!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:53 am

Man, I miss drinking when I have a cold. This review takes me back to the days of Sudafed and Wild Turkey.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:59 am

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:But when I got home I creamed my jeans to find out that it was a whopping 11%ABV. THE MOST POWERFUL BEER THE SVENSTER EVER DRANK!

Then you should try the Dogfish 120 minute IPA. 18% ABV. Yeah, bitches.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 am

steve-o wrote:
Then you should try the Dogfish 120 minute IPA. 18% ABV. Yeah, bitches.

Maybe if I win the powerball. That's 120 bucks a case or something. How did you try it Steve---on draft, 24 ounce bottle? Even by the glass or 24 ouncer the price has to be out of the workin' man's league. During weeks cash is low I bet Rikki Lixx gets a turdy pack of Natural Light for what you pay for a Dogfish 120 draft.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 am

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:
Maybe if I win the powerball. That's 120 bucks a case or something. How did you try it Steve---on draft, 24 ounce bottle? Even by the glass or 24 ouncer the price has to be out of the workin' man's league. During weeks cash is low I bet Rikki Lixx gets a turdy pack of Natural Light for what you pay for a Dogfish 120 draft.

A local bar had it for about $20 for the bottle, and given the alcohol content I had to try it. I'm not a big fan of IPA's so I'm probably not the best judge as far as taste goes, but they aren't lying about the alcohol content, I'll tell you that much.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 pm

How much does ABV play into your beer choices? I honestly never give it a thought. I don't wanna have something that I can drink 40 of and still operate a rider mower, but I've never picked a beer based on high ABV.

And how do you pick new beers to try? Word of mouth? Colorful label? Hilarious name? I'm just curious.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:How much does ABV play into your beer choices?
And how do you pick new beers to try? Word of mouth? Colorful label? Hilarious name? I'm just curious.

I love the taste of wheat beers but Weihenstephaner, Francis Kaner and Hoegarden fill me up and don't give me the buzz that ales provide. I don't know anybody who drinks fancy beer. I stumbled upon beeradvocate.com which sparked my iinterest, The brothers who run the site can be trusted to tell you what NOT to buylike Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale. Bleecchhh! If only I had checked the site before buying a case. . When the supermarket started selling sixers I could justify spending 15 bucks a week instead of 60 in one shot on a case. As far as these high ABV ales I can't tell much of a difference in taste except for Arrogant Bastard Oaked--must be the aged in oak barrels thing that makes it so good. I really wanted to try Sierra Nevada Bigfoot but the Sierra Nevada displays in two locations never carried the new batch that came out in January/February. I stumbled across this Victory "Old Horizontal" Barleywine and I would buy it again. Terrible beer farts like most hoppy ales but minimal hangover and 5 of 'em in one night made me sillier than a sackful of monkeys. Goofy giggly buzz.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:How much does ABV play into your beer choices? I honestly never give it a thought. I don't wanna have something that I can drink 40 of and still operate a rider mower, but I've never picked a beer based on high ABV.

I edited The beerbistro Cookbook and decided to expand my tastes from ales to wheatbeer. I prefer to try craft beers; they take more chances. Cute lables do catch my eye and imagination. The LCBO allows customers to buy singles so I can mix and match. When I'm out with friends at reputable pub, I'll ask the waiter or my friends. One great Toronto pub, C'est What will offer up a taster .

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Rikki Lixx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:During weeks cash is low I bet Rikki Lixx gets a turdy pack of Natural Light for what you pay for a Dogfish 120 draft.

I wouldn't drink anything that tastes like a dog or a fish, but I don't mind eating fish if you know what I mean.
LMFLASOF!!
I just got my taxes done, so I've got some extra to splurge on Michelobe, which I think is one of those rich people beers. But yeah, I got Miller Lite on sale and if you want it to be high alcohol, then why not just pour a shot of Kessler's into it? Seems cheaper.
And is Miss Clarol a real chick. Seems like a sausage fest around these parts and then you got weirdos like that Sugarcubes girl who's really a dude but is dressed like a girl in her picture. Then that chick with the pigtails named Russ isn't even a girl, but a guy who makes Dorito commercials.
I seen that this Miss Clarol likes beer up above so if you are in fact a girl, send me a private message when you get back from the bars.
I've got rubbers that are ribbed and some smirnoff ice left over from when this chick and i went fishin a couple of weeks ago. We didn't catch anything, but I got some sushi later if you know what i mean.
LLOLL!!
L8R

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm partial to English ales or porters if it's cold out. I have a special place in my heart for Belgian, and Belgian style beers. Spring and Summer in Texas means it's hotter than Old Scratch's taint and that means wheat beer with a twist o' lemon. Weihenstephaner, Hoegarden, and Sam Adams Summer are good and readily available. But my everyday beer of choice is Shiner Bock. It's cheap, it's everywhere, and there's a decent variety including Hefe, black lager, blonde, winter, and a few limited run, special edition type beers. They did a 100th anniversary beer last year that was outstanding. Commemorator I believe it was called. They're doing a Czech Pilsner right now. They're not world beaters for the most part, but they're pretty damn good, easy to drink, easy on the paper, and they're from lil' ol' Shiner, Tx.

Return to “Rants and Raves”