Scott Walker

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Scott Walker

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:50 pm

So I caught most of "Scott Walker: 30 Century Man" on the Sundance channel last night. Fascinating dude. I have to say, my love of melody means I enjoy the earlier stuff more than the newer stuff, but I totally respect the guy's commitment to his muse and the uncompromising nature of his music. Very powerful. Don't own any of his music yet. Anyone on the board a fan? Where do I start? Leaning toward the first four solo albums and maybe something by the Walker Brothers. Right path?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue May 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Can't help you. The documentary is cool though? I'll have to check it out. I remember when Tilt came out, my local record store guy was really excited about it, and I gave it a listen and remember thinking it was absolutely not my thing at all. I heard one track from The Drift (2006) and hated that too.

Until I looked at wikipedia, I had no idea he released that much stuff in the 60s and 70s. I also didn't realize he was American. Had always assumed he was British...

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Jake wrote: I also didn't realize he was American. Had always assumed he was British...

Seriously, me too. Maybe the haircut?

jaimoe0

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 pm

jonas wrote:
Seriously, me too. Maybe the haircut?

Or the London address?

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Tue May 11, 2010 11:59 pm

LOVE Scott Walker!!!!
I recommend Scott, Scott 2 and Scott 3 to start with.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Wed May 12, 2010 1:35 pm

I love his earlier stuff, too. Scott 4 my favorite by a long shot. It contains "Duchess," which is one of my favorite songs ever, and far and away my "most listened to" on iTunes. Neko Case did a good job covering it on her first album, though it doesn't come close to the origninal. 2 and 3 are also great. I like 1, but it doesn't stand up to the others.

Walker Bros were good, but they were just a 60s pretty-boy pop band. I'd go with the solo stuff first. It's much better. Though there are still a lot of gems. Love the song, "No Regrets" from the 70s reunion album of the same title.

I've listened to both Tilt and Drift. I think they're fascinating, but it's not really my thing either. That said, I'm glad he's able to release such difficult albums, and it's fascinating to see how uncompromising he is when recording. (Yes, the documentary is great.)

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 am

I thought the film was pretty inspiring. Scott 3 & 4 are probably my favorites...The man lives in an alternate universe of music.

jaimoe0

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:55 pm

I grabbed all of the Scott Walker and Walker Brothers stuff I could find on Grooveshark and I'm going through it to see what I wanna go and purchase for the collection. Two songs off "Tilt" were really interesting, challenging songs, but I don't think they are songs I would listen to any old time. That said, they were intriguing enough to make me think I need to listen to "Tilt" and "The Drift" all the way through, just to see what he's up to. Thanks for the recommendations all. Think I willl start with the early solo albums and maybe a Walker Bros. compilation.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sat May 15, 2010 5:40 pm

By the way Jaimoe0,
One of my fave Scott Walker songs is "The War Is Over".
If it isn't on itunes, message me and I'll get it to you.

Russ

Return to “Rants and Raves”