What was your first concert?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

What was your first concert?

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:07 am

jaimoe0 wrote:First show ever was in about 4th grade when my Mom and Dad took me to see Sha Na Na at the Circle Star Theater in Redwood City. The height of 50s revisionism and "Happy Days" inspired nostalgia. Hell, my elementary school buddies and I were nostalgic for a time that came a decade or more before we were born. Sound familiar?

First show where I bought my own ticket was the summer before 8th grade when I saw Mahongany Rush, AC/DC, Ted Nugent and Aerosmith at the Monsters of Rock show at Day on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum. Aerosmith was deep in the throes of their drug addictions, touring behind "Night in the Ruts," and it was AC/DC's final tour with Bon Scott. Oh, and I did finally catch a cool show at the Circle Star years later with Fishbone, the Untouchables and Trouble Funk. Gooood times. Terrible venue.

That's actually pretty respectable, jamioe. But man, my folks would never let me go to a concert in eighth grade, especially Monsters of Rock (if such a thing existed back in the 70's). They actually forbade me to see Alice Cooper and I was in 10th grade!

Also, I was way up in the boonies of Michigan which had no venues until Castle Farms opened up in the late 70's. My first concert there was, um, Foreigner. I think Eddie Money opened for them. I was very high.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 am

Shecks, I went with one of my Mom's bosses: a dentist named "Smiley." I shit you not. Little did my Mom know it would be the first time I saw someone use a rolling machine. No, I didn't partake. That was still a year away.
Last edited by jaimoe0 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:07 am

I saw Glenn Frey with my parents when I was 12 or so. It was during his Miami Vice phase and it was pretty goddam terrible.
The first show I saw on my own was the "Escape From New York" tour when I was 15. The line up was Debbie Harry, The Tom Tom Club with Jerry Harrison, and The Ramones headlining. It was at the Fair Park band shell in Dallas, and I've never seen another show there since. It was also the only time I ever saw the Ramones. They were really fucking great.

Thanks to the magic of the internet I was able to find the setlist for that night.

01. Durango 95
02. Teenage Lobotomy
03. Psycho Therapy
04. Blitzkrieg Bop
05. Do You Remember Rock 'N' Roll Radio?
06. I Believe In Miracles
07. Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment
08. Rock 'N' Roll High School
09. I Wanna Be Sedated
10. Beat On The Brat
11. I Wanna Live
12. Bonzo Goes To Bitburg
13. Commando
14. Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
15. Rockaway Beach
16. Pet Sematary
17. Mama's Boy
18. Animal Boy
19. Wart Hog
20. Surfin' Bird
21. Cretin Hop
22. I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You
23. Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World
24. Pinhead
25. Somebody Put Something In My Drink
26. We're A Happy Family

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 am

Mine was Ratt with opener Poison (the world had not yet discovered the powerful bandanna that would one day win our celebrity apprenticeships... and our hearts) back in 1986.

It was at outdoor pavilion Pine Knob (now cleverly titled "The DTE Energy Music Theater") and I went with my best friend and his older brother and his friends. We were standing in the parking lot waiting to get in, and the older guys all started laughing and were like, "Whoa! Smell that? Yeahhh, that's the good stuff!" And I distinctly remember my 12-year-old self having no clue what they were talking about, and going "yeah, totally! The good stuff! Yes! I am smelling the good stuff too!"

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:48 pm

My first four concerts were an odd mix:

Yes (Reunion Arena)
Jethro Tull (Reunion Arena)
Ramones (Agora club)
Talking Heads w/Adrian Belew (Agora club)

I still love all those bands.

ETA: I wish I could remember the opening acts. For Tull it was Whitesnake, but I can't recall the others.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:14 pm

At fourteen, I won tickets to my first live show from CHUM for Journey with the Greg Kinn Band opening at Maple Leaf Gardens. They were reds. My friend and I were offered pot by the guy in front of us and I nearly fainted. After the show, my folks picked us up. I begged my mum to let me buy a shirt (a crap bootleg). She protested till a cop leaned over and said, "Aw c'mon, mom." I got the shirt. I still do.

Two weeks later I won tickets to my second live show from the same station for the J. Geils Band with Jim Carroll opening in the same section. We knew one song, and made fun of Carroll. Years later my friend became a huge fan of the poet. Me, I just use him to increase my street cred (which is also crap bootleg).

That is all.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:40 pm

I think I've told this before, but I tried to search the boards and I couldn't find it.

Elvis Presley, Montgomery, Alabama, 1977. Just in time.

I went with some of my dad's secretaries and sat way up in the top, so I don't remember too much about it; he was so far away. But I do remember some woman with binoculars yelling "Elvis, I love your chest hairs!"

I can't remember what was next, but it may have been the Atlanta Rhythm Section at Auburn University's coliseum. Much more embarrassing.

I used to go to sheds in the country (sometimes with my dad), where I saw Jerry Lee Lewis, Loretta Lynn and Hank Williams, Jr. around the same time.

When the new decade started, I went to see Bruce on the "River Tour," the Clash after "Combat Rock" and Elvis Costello throughout the 80s.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 am

My 1st concert is a little embarrassing, too... I went with my mom to see John Denver. She was a huge fan of his, and I went as her "date" to see him at the late great Poplar Creek music theater in Hoffman Estates, IL. First concert with my own money was local DJ/musician Jonathon Brandmeier (yeah, I know).

Fourth show? The Who, Alpine Valley, '89. NOW we start getting into cooler concerts.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:27 pm

DJMurphy wrote:My 1st concert is a little embarrassing, too... I went with my mom to see John Denver. She was a huge fan of his. . . .

Don't feel bad. My mom took me to see Barry Fucking Manilow at the Frog & Nightgown nightclub in the old Cameron Village Underground in Raleigh. This was when he was billed as an up-and-comer, kind of a glorified lounge act doing his advertising jingles 'n shit. I was into jazz keys at the time, and my mom wanted me to hear him. He was vile back then, too.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Goddam I love technology!

Thanks to a hardcore Macedonian Ramones fan, I now have a recording of my first show. I played a couple of tracks to make sure it worked, but I'm holding off on listening to it until next month on the 26th. That'll make it 20 years to the day later.

Return to “Rants and Raves”