What was your first concert?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

First Concerts

Postby R. Burton » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:04 pm

When I was 6 years old, my parents took me to see The Banana Splits at the Calhoun County Fair in Marshall Michigan. They were opening for Grandpa Jones, of Hee-Haw fame. So I guess that was my first concert.

When I was 12, parents took me to see Sha Na Na @ Wing’s Stadium in Kalamazoo. Sometimes I forget about Grandpa Jones and tell people that this was my first ever concert.

When I was 13, I begged my Mom to take me to see Kiss, Cheap Trick, and New England at the Pontiac Silverdome. She did. She also took my brothers (10 and 5) as well as my uncle and 2 neighbor kids. First time I smelled the ganja. First time I saw boobs. I like to think of that as my first REAL concert.

25 years later, I’m in Freddie Fortune’s basement. We’re talking about first concerts. I tell him mine was Kiss at the Silverdome in 1978. Within 5 seconds he stands up, picks up what appears to be a scrap of paper, and hands it to me. It was a ticket-stub from that very concert.

“Were you there too?”
“Nope.”

Freddie Fortune is a fucking magic man. I have no doubt that had I answered “Grandpa Jones and The Banana Splits,” he would have produced a half-eaten elephant ear from 1972’s Calhoun County Fair.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:33 pm

That's an all-around fantastic story, Ron. Freddy is something else.

My first real concert was the Jacksons' Victory tour at the Pontiac Silverdome. Went with my mom, a pal, my mom's friend, her babysitter (who stood in line all night long to get tickets). It was awesome.

Around the same time, maybe before, maybe after, I saw the Oak Ridge Boys at the Ionia free fair. This was around the time of "Elvira" so I could probably fact-check the dates. I prefer to leave it to mystery. I remember that the bass vocalist was wearing overalls with no shirt and that his armpit hair went down to his waist.

Also saw Cheap Trick at the Ionia free fair.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:44 pm

My parents took me to a lot of concerts when I was a wee one. Lots of Early 70s country, as well as some Neil Diamond and other various hit makers like Rick Springfield. But I don't count those as my first "real" concert, cause I was only tagging along with my parents and their interests.

The First Concert I went to that I wanted to go to and wasn't with either of my Parents was Jefferson Starship (an uncle took me.) I think it was after the release of Modern Times. The show was poorly attended. I think Kantner was still in the band then, cause I remember he was up on stage playing guitar and wearing cut-off jean shorts and over the calf white tube socks, which I thought was cool at the time.

I remember thinking that they'd changed their name to Jefferson Starship because airplanes weren't cool anymore. After all, by 2000 we'd all be living in bubble cities on Mars, wouldn't we?

I had several relatively young Uncles on both sides of my family that took me to a lot of concerts after that. Everything from Motley Crue to Huey Lewis and Men At Work. I think the craziest one I went to before I was in High School was Kiss, which included a level of debauchery in the audience that I only now can fully comprehend.

Good times.

Of course, my all time favorite was taking off without permission to Toronto (from Michigan) while in high school to see The Sugarcubes play in a bar above a fish market in China Town.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Of course, my all time favorite was taking off without permission to Toronto (from Michigan) while in high school to see The Sugarcubes play in a bar above a fish market in China Town.

Hmm. When was this? I think I know where you mean, but I thought the Sugarcubes had disbanded by then.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: First Concerts

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:34 am

R. Burton wrote:When I was 6 years old, my parents took me to see The Banana Splits at the Calhoun County Fair in Marshall Michigan.

That...is awesome.

eriknorm
GLONO Board Playa

Postby eriknorm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:12 am

Springsteen and E Street, Born in the USA tour, 1984, when I was 16. After that, I thought all concerts were supposed to last four hours.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:39 am

I just thought of the first concert I went to without my mom: New Edition headlined with the Fat Boys and UTFO opening up. I was there mostly for the Fat Boys. I bought a black and white striped painter's cap that said "Jailhouse Rap" on it. My mom dropped us off (me and Duzer) and picked us up.

I remember the guys in UTFO humping the stage during one of their sex jams, which I thought was shocking and awesome.

I also remember seeing the women sitting next to us snorting coke, which I had only seen on Miami Vice. Thinking back, that's still pretty shocking. Doing blow at a New Edition show??? Really? The 80s...crazy times...

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:46 pm

miss carol wrote:
Hmm. When was this? I think I know where you mean, but I thought the Sugarcubes had disbanded by then.

It was the summer of 1988, during the Sugarcubes first North American tour. At the time Birthday was a single on the college charts and they were playing small (club) venues in North America. By 1989 they had moved up to bigger gigs, but that summer in 88 I stood next to the entire band on the sidewalk in China town while we all smoked cigarettes and waited for the doors to open.

I can't remember the name of the place but it was small. People had lined up all day on the sidewalk and the place stunk of fish. I had a photo of the outside of the club but I long ago lost it.

I remember being in Toronto those 3 days and sleeping in a car with a bunch of punks. We also went to some weird club that had an airplane and a car hanging from the ceiling with manicans in it dressed like JFK/Jackie. That club had a $5 buffet before the music started (which is pretty much all I ate that day).

to think I did that whole trip in a car with no hotels, driving 6 hours each way and only 17 years old with $40!!! Plus, the Feds let me over the boarder with no questions asked, despite being a minor in a car full of stoned alternateens.

good times!

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Jake wrote:I just thought of the first concert I went to without my mom: New Edition headlined with the Fat Boys and UTFO opening up. I was there mostly for the Fat Boys.

Oh thank god. I was getting dismayed by how much crappier my taste level was than everyone else on here. Hearing the two words "Fat" and "Boys" makes me feel better. My hope now is that Todd Totale is going to chime in and admit that his first concert was Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch. Or maybe that he's never actually been to a concert and has been reviewing everything from VHS tapes. But... it was probably Zappa opening for The Plastic Ono Band with Hendrix sitting in and a precocious 2-year-old marimba player named Jack White making his first appearance on a South American stage. sigh.

Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Journey, Escape tour at Joe Louis Arena. Greg Kihn band opened.

Return to “Rants and Raves”