Worst band ever!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:03 am

jaimoe0 wrote:Jonas, I think Anthony Kiedis is an extremely limited vocalist, but I don't think he's so smelly that he makes their best stuff unlistenable... and I really like to listen to John Frusciante play guitar, but I really struggle with his solo stuff.

The sound of Anthony Kiedis trying to slide his way into the right note makes me want to jam knitting needles into my eyes. That voice dominates songs in a way that homogenizes them, regardless of how different the lyrics and music are. In another group Frusciante could have been Johnny Marr; in RHCP, he's just an invisible part of a good rhythm section.

gdavis

Postby gdavis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Insane Clown Posse is probably the most awful sounding, but Jimmy Buffet has had more influence on current music being so awful.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:30 pm

All of you are wrong. It's an immutable scientific law that The Eagles are the absolute worst band ever.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:28 am

steve-o wrote:All of you are wrong. It's an immutable scientific law that The Eagles are the absolute worst band ever.

I hate the Eagles as much as the next guy, but I'll take them before virtually any band with a number in their name. Sum 41, Finger 11, Blink 182, 311, Maroon 5, umm, Sixpence None The Richer. They all blow goats.

Spacemen 3 happily excepted!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:
I hate the Eagles as much as the next guy, but I'll take them before virtually any band with a number in their name. Sum 41, Finger 11, Blink 182, 311, Maroon 5, umm, Sixpence None The Richer. They all blow goats.

Galaxie 500 and Minus 5 are excepted too, I expect.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:

The difference is in popularity and longevity. Comparing the shittiness of Sum 41 to the Eagles is like comparing some dumb jock in any random high school to George W. Bush. Who has done more damage?

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

miss carol wrote:Galaxie 500 and Minus 5 are excepted too, I expect.

Mais oui!

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

The Eagles don't suck

Postby R. Burton » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:54 am

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but mine is that saying "The Eagles suck" is like saying "disco sucks" or "country music sucks." It's uninformed and shallow. I'm sick of most of The Eagles' stuff I hear on the radio, and maybe they suck now as performers, but c'mon, there are at least a dozen songs that sound fantastic in the right setting. "Take It Easy," for example, as overplayed as it may be is still a toe-tapping motherfucker of an "alt country" song. A Seinfeld episode turned it into a joke, and again we've all heard it too many times, but (again, im my opinion) Desperado is as good or better than anything Ryan Adams ever shat out. And if you like The James Gang, but can't admit that Joe Walsh's Eagles stuff was at least good, then you don't really like The James Gang and you're just saying that because someone that you think is cool likes The James Gang. And if you don't like The James Gang, then you don't get it and it doesn't matter what you think about Rock and Roll.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:04 am

There are at least five or six Eagles songs that I would play on any jukebox that had them, esp. "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Take It Easy." And "Tequila Sunrise" transports me to my childhood more than anything other than Supertramp.

Plus, were it not for the Eagles covering "Old 55" in 1974, Tom Waits might've given up and packed it in before he even released Small Change. So we have to thank them for lining Waits' pockets at a time when he wasn't getting much traction.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Wait a minute. So we don't like Creed? When did that happen? I thought we were all going to go get Creed tattoos on our backs?

Oh goddammit, is this another "Tell j franky we're all dressing in gold and bringing sixers of Zima to the party"? Or "Tell j franky we're all aggressively experimenting with our sexuality this evening"? I'm sick of this bullshit! I'm going to go over to Pitchfork and find some real friends who probably have a shitload of Creed tattoos. Fuck you guys.

The worst band ever is the Wilcos that you guys like. I hate you!

Return to “Rants and Raves”