New Neil Young album: Might it actually be good?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Might it actually be good?

Of course! It's Neil!
No votes
Maybe a producer can whip Neil into shape.
50%
I dunno. Lanois? The U2 guy?
33%
No way. Not after Fork in the Road.
17%

Total votes: 6

Jake
GLONO Team Member

New Neil Young album: Might it actually be good?

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Lanois told the Toronto Star:

"We followed a simple philosophy: it's a solo record," he said of the latest work from the legendary Toronto-born rocker, which Lanois says will be out in late fall. "So it does not have a band, but it's rocking. And he's really come in with the songs, they're terrific. I dare say it might be some of his best work in some time. We've really hit the motherlode.

"I've worked with Neil over the years in small doses . . . but we had never done something together from scratch. So let me put it this way: There's an automatic communication system that exists between two Canadian dogs. It's been a lot of fun, and we're very dedicated, and I think I finally met my match."

Lanois told Rolling Stone:

Following a longtime tradition, Young only recorded around the peak of the full moon. "We cut a couple of solo acoustic songs, but the rest is very electric," says Lanois. "There's no band, but I got in there with my sonics. There's nothing else out there like it."

[...]

"I have transportable recording equipment and we put something together just for Neil. I put out my best amps, my best pianos and best guitars. He was very impressed by all of it. We cut the whole thing over just nine days during three separate full-moon cycles earlier this year."

Young is previewing eight of the tracks on his ongoing Twisted Road solo tour — though not always in the same arrangement as they'll appear on the album. "You Never Call," a sweet ode to his late longtime creative partner Larry "L.A." Johnson, has been played on acoustic guitar on the road, but Lanois says they'll probably use a version they cut on the organ for the album.

The disc was supposed to be called Twisted Road, but "I'm trying to talk him out of that," laughs Lanois. "We're hoping to have it out in the late fall."

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Re: New Neil Young album: Might it actually be good?

Postby Dreamin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:19 pm

As Buddhists and weary Neil Young fans know, desire leads to suffering.

The disc was supposed to be called Twisted Road, but "I'm trying to talk him out of that," laughs Lanois.

Unfortunately, David Briggs (RIP) he is not.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Dreamin wrote:As Buddhists and weary Neil Young fans know, desire leads to suffering.

lol. Well said. Though to be fair, I haven't bought anything from him since Prairie Wind so enraged me.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:41 pm

jonas wrote:lol. Well said. Though to be fair, I haven't bought anything from him since Prairie Wind so enraged me.

Enraged you? That must be the strongest reaction that album got out of anybody!

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Jake wrote:Enraged you? That must be the strongest reaction that album got out of anybody!

I'm an unabashed prairie boy, but about the only spontaneous reaction I get from <i>Prairie Wind</i> is falling asleep on my couch.

I just saw Neil's solo tour a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how many brand new songs he played (maybe three or four?) but they fit in with the rest of the set of classic and modern-day hits. Nothing that was spine-tingling good, but nothing that I hated either. If Lanois can work his magic on the new record, it could be really good.

Speaking of spine tingling though, seeing The Man rearrange "Ohio" for solo voice and cranked-up Gretch White Falcon was pretty cool, though.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Dreamin wrote:
The disc was supposed to be called Twisted Road, but "I'm trying to talk him out of that," laughs Lanois.

Unfortunately, David Briggs (RIP) he is not.

I stand corrected. Maybe.

From NY's Facebook page:

“Le Noise” is complete. It is a solo record. Playbacks are happening now. Release date is September 28th. It will be available in Vinyl, CD and I-Tunes in the first edition, followed by Blu-Ray, and an APP for I-Phone and I-Pad a month or so later. The app will be free. It gives you an interactive album cover. Forgive my use of the word “album”. I am old school.

Peace ny4

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Le Noise? I am so hoping this is a follow-up to Trans! Go weird, Neil! Go weird!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Oh noes, it appears to have some electric guitar on it and such. My hopes are up again.

A funny bit from the article above:

Neil Young also took to the web recently to address negative fan comments on the popular Neil Young fansite Thrasher's Wheat. (The site’s commenters have complained about Young’s ticket prices, charity work with Tyson Foods, and that he hasn’t played with Crazy Horse for years.) "This is the most respected site on the net for this type of activity," Young wrote about Thrasher's Wheat on his own web site. "Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in what I am doing,” he continued, addressing the site’s operators. “There is always negativity with any internet endeavour. Now it has perhaps worn you down. It is alright to say goodbye ... Whether you choose to continue or just hang it up and get on with your life is up to you.”

Curmudgeonly does fit Mr. Young quite well.

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Rikki Lixx » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Neil Young wrote:There is always negativity with any internet endeavour. Now it has perhaps worn you down. It is alright to say goodbye ... Whether you choose to continue or just hang it up and get on with your life is up to you.”
I always liked his work with Skynyrd, but I think its wrong that Neil Young is now telling people to kill themselves.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Rikki Lixx wrote:I always liked his work with Skynyrd, but I think its wrong that Neil Young is now telling people to kill themselves.

So was you all along! ha!!

Return to “Rants and Raves”