Do we ever talk about movies here (TIFF detour)?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Do we ever talk about movies here (TIFF detour)?

Postby jonas » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 pm

The Toronto International Film Festival catches my eye every year, and I swear one day I'm going to make it. This year a few films already look interesting...

1. "Let Me In". This is a remake of "Let the Right One In," a creepy Swedish film I like. I'm not a fan of remakes, but early reviews from TIFF say it may be an actual improvement on the original (having Chloe Moretz and Richard Jenkins involved can't hurt).

2. "Easy A". A teen comedy, sure, but for once the wisecracking, raunchy hero is a heroine. Early reviews are very positive.

3. "Everything Must Go." Will Ferrell, a guy I generally don't find funny, in a non-funny role. His wife kicks him and his possessions out of the house, so he sets them up on the lawn, puts them up for sale, and lives there. Not a comedy. Mixed reviews to date.

That's all so far.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:44 pm

I like them "Twilight" movies.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 am

jaimoe0 wrote:I like them "Twilight" movies.

Crap. That made me spray cranberry juice on my monitor.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:17 am

Anyway, about the films...I don't know? Suddenly I just find myself not really liking movies all that much.

And I don't just mean current movies, or movies from the last few years, but the whole idea of movies turns me off. Even classic, time-tested movies that I love. WTF? Is it old age?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:20 am

It's not that I don't like movies anymore; it's just that it seems to be such a chore to actually sit through a film these days. I think my attention span is getting shorter under the influence of cartoons and the Internets.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 am

I watched "Animal House" (the original, not edited for TV version) the other night and absolutely loved it. Most of the acting -- and many of the jokes -- are totally stilted and poorly timed/edited/something, but it was a blast. Belushi is like Charlie Chaplain or Bugs Bunny or Marcel Marceau in that movie. Weird and amazing.

The other great thing about that movie (and most comedies from the 70s and early 80s) is all the nudity. It's crazy to think how puritanical our society has become (despite Family Guy, Lady Gaga, et al). Teen comedies used to show boobs! Including those of a character who turns out to be only 13 (the big punchline at the end, har har).

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 am

Jake wrote:I watched "Animal House" (the original, not edited for TV version) the other night and absolutely loved it. Most of the acting -- and many of the jokes -- are totally stilted and poorly timed/edited/something, but it was a blast. Belushi is like Charlie Chaplain or Bugs Bunny or Marcel Marceau in that movie. Weird and amazing.

The other great thing about that movie (and most comedies from the 70s and early 80s) is all the nudity. It's crazy to think how puritanical our society has become (despite Family Guy, Lady Gaga, et al). Teen comedies used to show boobs! Including those of a character who turns out to be only 13 (the big punchline at the end, har har).

They wouldn't make that movie today. The 70s era "boomer" comedies were far more subversive than much of anything in the mainstream movie business today. Instead of Animal House, now we have Old School or for the teens some lame humiliation theamed teen horror movie where people get tied up and mutilated in a college dorm.

Even stuff like the Bad News Bears wouldn't make it to the screen now. That movie was a big "F You" to the man. Kids swearing and smoking cigarettes. A drunk adult who's the worst roll model on earth. All of them standing up against the people in authority who ran the little league. Today you get the happy ending BS of movies like The Mighty Ducks and School of Rock. No edge. No subversion. Just safety and hugs.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:17 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Even stuff like the Bad News Bears wouldn't make it to the screen now.

Awesome. I'm watching that tonight (on demand -- love it).

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:30 pm

If you ever get a chance check out the 'Animal House' biography on
the A & E network. Its really facinating - interviews with the cast, John Landis, Harold Ramis too.

Animal House will always be one of my favorite movies of all time. By far the most quotable movie ever made. We lost a comedic genius when Belushi died. Caddyshack and Stripes are also favorites from that era. I pretty much can recite them all by heart.

The last current movie I saw that made an impact on me was 'The Road' - brilliant (but depressing) - much like the book. I just don't see great stuff coming out of Hollywood anymore - or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man, (as my wife calls me).

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

Tim wrote:I just don't see great stuff coming out of Hollywood anymore - or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man, (as my wife calls me).

There are good movies being made today. Saying there isn't is like saying that there's no great rock n roll anymore. It's not true.

What is true is that Film and traditional network Television are not the dominate mass entertainment mediums that the used to be. There are so many other entertainment venues, as well as methods to distribute media, that it's all changing.

You can't have another Animal House just like you can't have another Exile On Mainstreet. Not because now is no good, but because now isn't 1971. Everything is different. In the case of those 70s adult comedies I think that the "younger" generation today just doesn't have the same subversive perspective on Power and the establishment that existed in the 60s and 70s. It doesn't mean that the kids are all conformists today. It only means that the context has changed.

Return to “Rants and Raves”