Do we ever talk about movies here (TIFF detour)?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Also in the book, Brody doesn't blow the shark up with a scuba tank. He harpoons it to death.

Really? That change I missed. Probably because I was still squirming after watching Quint get inhaled by the shark.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:03 pm

I saw the new Harry Potter film today, because I am one of those people who flocks to see them when they come out (insert Sugarcubes rant here). I only mention it because i was startled to hear a Nick Cave song (O Children) played for I think its entirety during a scene. Odd but pleasing.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am

jonas wrote:I saw the new Harry Potter film today, because I am one of those people who flocks to see them when they come out (insert Sugarcubes rant here).

God damn muther focking poser mass media corporate bullschat crapolla waste of space sell out piss off bait and switch go to hell eat shit and die.

jonas wrote:I only mention it because i was startled to hear a Nick Cave song (O Children) played for I think its entirety during a scene. Odd but pleasing.

Is that good? Or should I go on?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 am

Somehow over the past 3 years I went from viewing 2-3 dozen films per year in the theater to rarely ever going to the theater.

One interesting movie I just saw on demand, which was also released in theaters at the same time was Monsters. The on demand price was $10 , which is double the normal price we pay for on demand new releases through ATT. For an Indie pic it was pretty interesting, although it feels like it's missing an ending. The story up till the end is pretty good. Lots of atmosphere, tension, etc. And the special effects and sci fi parts of the film are mostly there to prod your imagination. Makes me think that if the script had made it through the Hollyweird system it would have been a special effects trainwreck. But as it is, it's pretty good.

We've also just watched the first two Swedish movie versions of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire.

I haven't read the books. So I walked into the two films without the kind of fervor that the fans of the books seem to have. I thought both were pretty good movies. Well paced and well acted. The type of "adult" movie that the American movie industry doesn't make anymore (no over the top special effects or cgi ridiculousness). What concerns me is that Hollyweird is in the process of making a big budget English Language version of these films starring Rooney Mara and Danielle Craig. Ugh.

That reminds me of the 2002 remake of the Norwegian film, Insomnia. Hollyweird brought in big name actors and Christopher Nolan to direct it and it came off as a lame copy of the original, especially the over the top acting of Pacino and Williams.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:God damn muther focking poser mass media corporate bullschat crapolla waste of space sell out piss off bait and switch go to hell eat shit and die.

Is that good? Or should I go on?

I knew I could count on you.

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:That reminds me of the 2002 remake of the Norwegian film, Insomnia. Hollyweird brought in big name actors and Christopher Nolan to direct it and it came off as a lame copy of the original, especially the over the top acting of Pacino and Williams.

Holy crap, that was Christopher Nolan? That was AWFUL. It's a cliche, but it's also true that Americans fuck up foreign movies...just watch The Vanishing for another good example.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Eddie Izzard agrees, Jonas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjC3R6jOtUo

Sorry, but I'm too technologically illiterate to embed the video.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:55 am

jonas wrote:
Holy crap, that was Christopher Nolan? That was AWFUL. It's a cliche, but it's also true that Americans fuck up foreign movies...just watch The Vanishing for another good example.

Yeah, that was some bad shit. But Point of No Return is I think one of the absolute worst American remakes. Worse than The Vanishing.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 am

Worse than Vanilla Sky?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Is this the appropriate place to thank Leslie Nielsen for all the laughs? He'll be missed. I still count "Airplane!" as one of the funniest movies of all time.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:55 pm

"Over Macho Grande?"

Return to “Rants and Raves”