Do we ever talk about movies here (TIFF detour)?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Suddenly you all turned into old people shouting at me to get off your lawn. WTF is up with that? I promise you fantastic movies didn't die.

They wouldn't make that movie today. The 70s era "boomer" comedies were far more subversive than much of anything in the mainstream movie business today. Instead of Animal House, now we have Old School or for the teens some lame humiliation theamed teen horror movie where people get tied up and mutilated in a college dorm.

Seriously, Animal House is 'subversive'? Sure it makes fun of the establishment and those in power, but on that scale so does Office Space. Or Borat. Other than M*A*S*H, I'm hard-pressed to point to a film that was more subversive than what you can find now.

Even stuff like the Bad News Bears wouldn't make it to the screen now. That movie was a big "F You" to the man. Kids swearing and smoking cigarettes. A drunk adult who's the worst roll model on earth. All of them standing up against the people in authority who ran the little league. Today you get the happy ending BS of movies like The Mighty Ducks and School of Rock. No edge. No subversion. Just safety and hugs.

Now there's some truth mixed in with that, but I'd argue that there is NO film in existence similar to Bad News Bears. It's unique. It stands alone. That's not the 70s, that's Walter Fucking Matthau taking his Odd Couple character to the next, necessary level.

All that said, I do miss smoking on TV and in movies. And when people do smoke, it seems too affected; half of them can't hold their goddamned cigarettes right.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:02 pm

"Back in the day we walked uphill both ways in the snow to the theater and paid our whole week's earnings to see brilliant cinema...like say a double Travolta outing - Grease and Saturday Night Fever. "

Yes, I can agree there have been some great movies - 'Inglorious Bastards' would be a recent film that I think is a classic, for an example. Overall I just don't get excited about movies like I used to. They don't grab me or impact me like they used to. I haven't even been to a theater in quite sometime (partly because I have a 2 year old). I know I should stop comparing art (movies, music) of the past with what's new out there. It's an automatic response/bad habit when I see a trailer that doesn't grab me or a movie I fall asleep to. I'm probably missin out on some good stuff.

So set me straight - what are some good films you've seen recently?

By the way MASH was my first Rated R movie and the first pair of boobies I remember seeing. Blazing Saddles was my second. I remember feeling like such a big shot because I could tell my friends I saw a Rated R movie. I don't think I even understood any of it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 pm

jonas wrote:Suddenly you all turned into old people shouting at me to get off your lawn.

That's exactly what Jolie said when I told her about this discussion. I tried to argue with her, but you know how it goes. Her point was that sex is so commonplace in our culture now that it's no longer exciting or thrilling to just see it in a movie. I say, whatever, just bring back the boobies in teen comedies. Is that too much to ask for? I'm an old man, after all.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:07 pm

jonas wrote:Now there's some truth mixed in with that, but I'd argue that there is NO film in existence similar to Bad News Bears. It's unique. It stands alone. That's not the 70s, that's Walter Fucking Matthau taking his Odd Couple character to the next, necessary level.

I would argue that The Bad News Bears is a perfect example of the subversive, anti establishment thread that started in popular culture back in the 60s and was present in many forms of media in the 70s. Movies like Caddie Shack (which was edited late in production to include more mindless slapstick) and Stripes, as well as stand up comedians like Carlin and more than a few rock n roll bands all fed off that vibe.

I wasn't arguing that there weren't "subversive" forms of media (movies, TV, intertubes, etc.) today. The context, tone and content is just different today. And the most subversive films rarely if ever become mainstream successes. The last one that comes to mind for me is Fight Club. But that was in another decade, and would NEVER be made today (probably due to 9/11 hystaria).

In terms of television, I'd have to say that the Buffy The Vampire series was the last really great tv show that stood up over and over against a lot of pig headed social norms and conventions.
Last edited by Sugarcubes Forever on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Jake wrote:That's exactly what Jolie said when I told her about this discussion. I tried to argue with her, but you know how it goes. Her point was that sex is so commonplace in our culture now that it's no longer exciting or thrilling to just see it in a movie. I say, whatever, just bring back the boobies in teen comedies. Is that too much to ask for? I'm an old man, after all.

Word.

Although, kids today have the intertubes. All we had were ragged old copies of the neighbor kid's dad's magazines.

I won't get into the amount of mindless crap that is out there for kids today, though. There's a whole suite of TV Channels devoted to every age group from toddlers to college. And all I see on them is mindless marketing and social/gender stereotyping.

I'd rather see kids play video games all day.

Like i told a coworker the other day... If I did have a kid the last thing I would do is let them touch, own or consume anything that is remotely associated with the Disney corporation. Now, go enjoy your $6000 clusterf*@$ of a vacation in Orlando, Floriday.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote: If I did have a kid the last thing I would do is let them touch, own or consume anything that is remotely associated with the Disney corporation.

I felt the same way, but then before my kid could even really talk, we were at Target looking at Hot Wheels and he looked across the aisle and was all, "RED CAR...EYES!" That was his first glimpse of Lightning McQueen and even though he'd never seen the movie Cars (or any kids television or movies at that point), he knew he loved that red car with eyes. I'm convinced Disney somehow taps into the preverbal psyche of children and hypnotizes them into loving their shit.

You can say you're going to avoid it all you want, but when the time comes, you just might find you'll sell out all of your ideals for 20 minutes of peace. At least that's been my experience.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Jake wrote:You can say you're going to avoid it all you want, but when the time comes, you just might find you'll sell out all of your ideals for 20 minutes of peace. At least that's been my experience.

Your experience and that of almost all of my friends with kids. And these aren't traditional suburban boring parents either, just people who haven't slept in a couple of years.

As for TIFF, if you like line ups and overpriced hotel rooms, come in September. If you just want to see the films, watch the listings. If you want to see Toronto in it's glory, pick any day that isn't between January and March. Me, I'm dying to see something at the new Lightbox...after the fest.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:01 am

Well, fuck, maybe it is old age because I think I've just seen too many movies. It's rare that a movie even interests me today. My feeling is, "God damn it, I'm old and have little time left - do I really want to chance wasting a couple hours on another movie?"

Also, kids today, off my lawn, etc.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Like i told a coworker the other day... If I did have a kid the last thing I would do is let them touch, own or consume anything that is remotely associated with the Disney corporation. Now, go enjoy your $6000 clusterf*@$ of a vacation in Orlando, Floriday.

We'll be at Disney starting this weekend. I'll drop you a postcard!

Jake wrote:You can say you're going to avoid it all you want, but when the time comes, you just might find you'll sell out all of your ideals for 20 minutes of peace. At least that's been my experience.

Thank god that part gets better, otherwise we'd all kill ourselves. But it does get much better! At least, I'm guessing, until the teenage years.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:30 pm

If you're in NYC or LA you can see the brilliant new Harry Nilsson doc.
I saw it the other day in NYC and that's why I can call it brilliant.
It was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoFpvG5fb-0

Return to “Rants and Raves”