Do we ever talk about movies here (TIFF detour)?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:12 pm

I try to watch "Jaws" every time I notice it's on. Don't know why. I do the same thing with "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." I'm strange that way.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:32 am

The whole movie is just a setup for Quinn's story on board the Orca. Fucking awesome.

"And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes."

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:40 am

I was 12 years old when my friend Barry and I were in Valley View Mall and some stupid teenager handing out fliers said "hey, you guys wanna see a sneak preview?" and let us into an SRO sneak for Jaws. We lasted, I dunno 20 minutes?, before I said "ah, this is kind of boring" and he said "yeah!" and we got the hell out of there before we wet our pants. Really a brilliantly frightening non-horror movie. It was also my first experience of reading a book and then seeing the movie...I still think Hooper should have had his guts ripped out in the shark cage.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:31 am

jonas wrote:It was also my first experience of reading a book and then seeing the movie...I still think Hooper should have had his guts ripped out in the shark cage.

Is that really what happens in the book? Or do you just think Hooper's a twat? Is the book worth reading?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 am

I think the problem with movies and most other "commercial art" these days is that there's so much distribution compared to the 60s-70s, that we're no longer seeing the cream of the crop. The bar was higher, even for the crap in that era, whereas now just about anything can make it into the public eye. Combine that with the entertainment industry now being run by corporations that care nothing about quality or reputation and you have the profit-motivated, lowest-common-denominator thinking lowering the standards for everyone.

That said, there are great movies and TV being produced now, just as there always have been. Just off the top of my head: Super Bad (teen movie), Fantastic Mr. Fox (kids movie), Invictus (mainstream adult drama), and on TV, Curb Your Enthusiasm, 30 Rock, and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Jake wrote:Is that really what happens in the book? Or do you just think Hooper's a twat? Is the book worth reading?

Yeah, he dies in a shark cage in the book. I was maybe 15 when I read it (I didn't see the full movie until college), so I loved it then, but can't really vouch for it after so long. It was a freaking HUGE best seller, though, so it must be at least somewhat good...the only question is how well it's aged.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 pm

sab wrote:I think the problem with movies and most other "commercial art" these days is that there's so much distribution compared to the 60s-70s, that we're no longer seeing the cream of the crop. The bar was higher, even for the crap in that era, whereas now just about anything can make it into the public eye. Combine that with the entertainment industry now being run by corporations that care nothing about quality or reputation and you have the profit-motivated, lowest-common-denominator thinking lowering the standards for everyone.

That's a great point about the spread of quality, rather than its actual disappearance...it's getting harder to pick the good stuff out of the crap. It's amazing to see how many more movies were released in the US in 2009 than nine years previously*:

2000 479
2001 454
2002 475
2003 455
2004 489
2005 507
2006 594
2007 609
2008 633
2009 558

I guess DVDs and the expansion of venues is, to your point, adding a lot of distribution.

* source: MPAA annual research report

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:54 pm

jonas wrote:
Yeah, he dies in a shark cage in the book. I was maybe 15 when I read it (I didn't see the full movie until college), so I loved it then, but can't really vouch for it after so long. It was a freaking HUGE best seller, though, so it must be at least somewhat good...the only question is how well it's aged.

Also in the book, Brody doesn't blow the shark up with a scuba tank. He harpoons it to death.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:14 am

I would be interested in seeing those figures for the 60s and 70s when mainstream audiences were regularly going to see French and Italian art films, as well as Deep Throat. Was it just that nothing else was playing on a Friday night so they had to go see Don't Look Now or Blow Up, or whatever?

Or are we just a lot dumber now?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:04 pm

Jake wrote:I would be interested in seeing those figures for the 60s and 70s when mainstream audiences were regularly going to see French and Italian art films, as well as Deep Throat. Was it just that nothing else was playing on a Friday night so they had to go see Don't Look Now or Blow Up, or whatever?

Or are we just a lot dumber now?

I can't find that kind of detail, but I did find this from someone quoting Leonard Maltin:

1912-1919: 4,445
1920-1929: 6,729
1930-1939: 5,332
1940-1949: 4,373
1950-1959: 3,079
1960-1969: 2,349

Divide by 10 to get numbers comparable to the ones I posted. If we're to believe this, movies died off for a while (I'd like to graph this against household ownership of TVs!) and have bounced back. The 60s and 70s are at a particular low, to Jake's point.

Sorry I can't find a more consistent source of info.

Return to “Rants and Raves”