Weezer: Memories Tour!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Weezer: Memories Tour!

Postby thousandfold » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:02 pm

http://weezer.com/profiles/blogs/20100924-memories-tour

So stoked. Totally going to Blue Night!!

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:01 am

This is pathetic.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:50 pm

I would totally go see the Pinkerton show.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Sab, I don't get what's pathetic. Is it the whole notion of these tours where they regurgitate past glories, or this particular tour especially? If so, why? Curious to know your thinking.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:43 am

Playing your most-loved albums in their entirety is an admission that you've got nothing new to share with the world. Rivers Cuomo just turned 40 this summer. I'm nearly there myself, and I don't feel like this is the age where we should just give up and join the graybeards on the slow death march to retirement.

It's one thing for Steely Dan (Fagen is 62, Becker, 60) to do this, but Weezer? Pathetic.

And for those of you who will bring up Public Enemy, I think that's a bit different case because they are making a point about their genre of music, which has lost its way. And they're a whole decade older besides. (Chuck is 50, Flav, 51.)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:56 am

I actually agree with you on that Sab. Unless they're broke (which is always possible) or contractually obligated (which also possible), I don't know why a band would do this. Tours aren't cheap. Maybe they have something up their sleeve? I'd think we hear about that by now.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:49 am

I love the Pinkerton so I'm going to try for that night in Chi.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:49 pm

I feel much the same, Sab. Just seeking clarity. That said, I'd totally go to "Pinkerton" night if I could afford it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 am

From RS:

This single-album run-through resulted in a series of climaxes, with the rest of the band eventually exiting as Cumo ended with "Butterfly." That ballad's anti-romantic candor is still jolting, and as it played, the stage's album-cover-art backdrop flew up, the rear stage doors parted, and the outside world behind the Gibson Amphitheatre became visible. The temperature inside the house instantly dropped as Cuomo literally let us see behind the curtain. For a nostalgia tour, it was a remarkably unburdened moment.

That's pretty cool.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Ha ha ha.

Weezer is officially "an oldies act."

As much as I love Pinkerton, I won't give that fucker, Rivers, another dime. He's been phoning it in for years.

I have mixed feelings about this. I saw The Pixies' Doolittle show earlier this year and really loved it. But at the same time I've got a real aversion to bands that tour year after year without new material. They become a reminder of the fact that those days are over. If The Pixies tour next year and play the Tromple le Monde I'll know they've pushed it one "reunion" too far and that'll be the end of it for me.

Is there anything wrong with going to see The Beach Boys at the State Fair every summer? No. But that ain't rock n roll. That's just a reminder that they stopped making good music 40 years ago.

Sab is right. This is stark example of the fact that Rivers et.al. have nothing more to contribute to Rock n Roll.

And by the way.... If you Exterminate Weezer, you can wipe every crummy EMO band out of existance. Isn't that a fair trade?

5 acts that buck the trend that Weezer's cashing in on:

Sonic Youth
Dinosaur Jr.
Superchunk
Morrissey
Smashing Pumpkins

Each of these could tour every couple of years with no new material and make a good living. But they don't. They keep making music and moving ahead. Unlike Pavement. ha ha.

Return to “Rants and Raves”