An interesting article on a not very interesting topic...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Look Jake I really didn't 'want' to go there, but it seemed to fit my interpretation of the article which started this brief discussion. That's all. Political affiliations aside (which I know I didn't do), it can't honestly be denied that his meteoric rise on the national political scene was portrayed as 'hip' and 'cool'. Sorry - I'll recoil back into a slithering ball of consumerist puss.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Jonathan wrote:Recent examples of hordes of people all gravitating towards something "cool and hip" include : Facebook/American Idol/DWTS and of course the ultimate example of a crazed media/cultural frenzy...Obama. Never before have so many people blindly followed the slick talking words of a fool. But hey, he was just so damn hip, right?

Sarah Palin

Glen Beck

Rush Limbaugh

Just a few fo the slick fools out there.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Jonathan wrote:Recent examples of hordes of people all gravitating towards something "cool and hip" include : Facebook/American Idol/DWTS and of course the ultimate example of a crazed media/cultural frenzy...Obama. Never before have so many people blindly followed the slick talking words of a fool. But hey, he was just so damn hip, right?

It might help to research things before ya post 'em. The growth in Facebook isn't hipsters or people chasing the cool, it's old-timers discovering friend and alumni networks (and apparently interested in sex). And American Idol viewership is down for the second year in a row. Perhaps your other perceptions are skewed as well?

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Rikki Lixx » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Look, I'm not racist, but if they come in our country then lern the language before stealing my job and useing up the medicare. that's all. in the meantime, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for their documents and shipping them back home until they learn the rules and the language. and stop stealing all the tripe.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:15 am

Nobody better get in the way of my tripe.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:15 pm

[quote="Jonathan]it can't honestly be denied that his meteoric rise on the national political scene was portrayed as 'hip' and 'cool'. [/quote]

What does that even mean?

Whatever. Anyway, the voting public at large are morons. And morons do things for dumb reasons. Because they're morons. If Puff Daddy wants to tell people who to vote for, and the morons go out and vote for that person based on his suggestion, that doesn't mean that I or other peope did just because Puff Daddy told me to do so. Correlation and causation and all that.

But I myself didn't vote for Obama because I thought he was a "messiah" or because I thought it would make me "cool." And I suspect a lot of people feel the same. But yeah, its easier just to make sweeping generalizations than to actually debate his politics.

Weren't we talking about hipsters?

Rikki Lixx
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Rikki Lixx » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:28 pm

steve-o wrote:Weren't we talking about hipsters?
I know I was! LOL! Wal Mart only carries about three or four bags of tripe a month, but the hipsters come in with there ten kids and grandmothers and buy up all the tripe before the whites can buy it. That's all I'm sayin.
L8R

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Rikki Lixx wrote: I know I was! LOL! Wal Mart only carries about three or four bags of tripe a month, but the hipsters come in with there ten kids and grandmothers and buy up all the tripe before the whites can buy it. That's all I'm sayin.
L8R

I don't care if you're not real. You're my hero.

Return to “Rants and Raves”