Putting your money (i.e., time) where your mouth is...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

D. Phillips wrote:You're talking like Rahm, man. I love it.

Even Rahm couldn't get it done this time though. Who was tying his hands?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 am

I just want to know one thing: how do you run on a platform of tax breaks for the rich and convince the numbskulls that this time trickle-down economics will work, somehow? Especially in an economic freefall?

Frankly, I give up. Like WC Fields said, 'Never wise up a sucker.'

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I just want to know one thing: how do you run on a platform of tax breaks for the rich and convince the numbskulls that this time trickle-down economics will work, somehow? Especially in an economic freefall?

Frankly, I give up. Like WC Fields said, 'Never wise up a sucker.'

The sheeple who make up the Teapublican party don't care about facts or reality. They operate on BELIEF. For them the globe isn't warming, Reagan brought bread and honey to every home, Obama was born in an Islamic Communist hut in Africa and the Earth is only 5000 years old. Oh, and this is a Christian nation. And blacks are racist. Jesus rode a dinosaur. Sarah Palin is intelligent. etc. etc. etc.

But I wouldn't lump those fuckers in with the uniformed moderates who oscillate between parties every 2-4 years. Most of them are just mildly ignorant and don't want to pay that much attention to what's going on.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
But I wouldn't lump those fuckers in with the uniformed moderates who oscillate between parties every 2-4 years. Most of them are just mildly ignorant and don't want to pay that much attention to what's going on.

Really? There's little I hate more in politics than a goddamn motherfucking self-professed "independent". As far as I can tell, "independent" either means someone has voted 90% of the time for the same party but likes to pat themselves on the back for the other 10%, someone who rarely votes, or someone who votes but makes up their minds on the goddamn drive to the polling place. Fuck them all for remaining disinterested, or pretending to remain disinterested, and for not getting angry about something. At least the Tea Partiers have crazy and stupid and angry as an explanation; all "independents" have is feckless, passionless, lazy and self-congratulatory.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:34 pm

jonas wrote:
Really? There's little I hate more in politics than a goddamn motherfucking self-professed "independent". As far as I can tell, "independent" either means someone has voted 90% of the time for the same party but likes to pat themselves on the back for the other 10%, someone who rarely votes, or someone who votes but makes up their minds on the goddamn drive to the polling place. Fuck them all for remaining disinterested, or pretending to remain disinterested, and for not getting angry about something. At least the Tea Partiers have crazy and stupid and angry as an explanation; all "independents" have is feckless, passionless, lazy and self-congratulatory.

You're absolutely right, and that's why I would never call myself an independent. The flipside to that though is what I see as the biggest problem facing this country when it comes to people's approach to politics: people are just completely oblivious to nuance. It is really insulting when I make a comment that is complimentary or even just not screaming for Obama's head on a platter, that immediately the person I'm talking to immediately brands me a "democrat." Well no, dumbass, that's not at all what I implied, and to just brand myself a "democrat" as opposed to actually forming my own opinions makes me as much a brain-dead lemming as you are.

So I really just gave up this time around. It's not apathy. I spend a lot of time keeping up on current events, and was fairly informed going into this election. But the only thing keeping me from completely losing my mind over how mind-numbingly stupid-cum-crazy O'Donnell/Palin/Rand Paul were was just to laugh at it. And unfortunately that doesn't lead to a lot of motivation. But I'm just tired of being pissed off. It doesn't do any good. Until we abolish the popular vote, giving the frighteningly stupid the most effective means to go against their own self-interest, nothing is going to change.

And the likely response to that is to be accused of the same elitism and snobbery that costs democrats elections. Well, you know what? Getting democrats elected is not something I particularly care about anymore, and I suspect a lot of people feel the same way.

Return to “Rants and Raves”