Rock band exterminator

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Rock band exterminator

Postby R. Burton » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:41 pm

As far as I know, this idea belongs to some friends of mine. If they got it somewhere else, then color me embarrassed.

A while back, these friends were discussing the idea of being able to snap your fingers, and completely remove one band, or solo performer's very existence. To put it another way; "If you had the power to snap your fingers and make it so that any one band or solo performer of your choosing never existed, who would you choose?" Maybe the best part is thinking that anyone heavily influenced by your choice would pretty much go away, and so would anyone influenced by that band. And so on.

Would you sacrifice Van Halen in order to also do away with Winger, and Cinderella, and Tesla, and Giuffria, and Stryper and so on?

Would you really off The Eagles knowing you might lose Rivera? (Ha!)

I'll flippantly offer up Kraftwerk. So I lose the entire Detroit techno scene, what do I care? Totally fucking worth it I say!

So, who would you choose?

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 pm

Easy.
Insane Clown Posse.
I think they have a label with some like minded acts so there's some collateral damage as well. We'd all be spared the "Juggallo" phenomenon and the world is a better place.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Nickleback. <snap> Ah, I feel better already...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Jesus, this is too easy. Jimmy Buffett?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 am

You guys really think that ICP, Nickelback, and Jimmy Buffet have been influential? I can't name any bands that they've influenced, but maybe I just don't know.

Who caused Nickelback? That's the question. Nirvana? You willing to lose those four (or five) albums to prevent all the terrible music that followed in those footsteps?

Who caused ICP?

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Postby R. Burton » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:23 am

Jimmy Buffett was one of my first choices, but you're right, Jake, it wouldn't affect much in the music world. On the other hand, that whole parrot head thing is disgusting, and just think of all the date-rapes, DUI’s, unwanted pregnancies, unfortunate tattoos, and deaths that would never have happened had there not been a bar full of too-tanned meatheads gurgling along with Margaritaville and saying “C’mon bro, “It’s five O’clock somewhere!”

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:27 am

This sounded a little familiar: Which branch would you cut from the Musickal Tree? (2004)

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Postby R. Burton » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 am

Aw crap, and it was even worded better in that original post. Funny to see how Jimmy Buffett came up right away both times.

My apologies folks, just trying to spark some activity. What band can we take out to make Facebook go away?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 am

R. Burton wrote:Aw crap, and it was even worded better in that original post. Funny to see how Jimmy Buffett came up right away both times.

My apologies folks, just trying to spark some activity. What band can we take out to make Facebook go away?

No apologies necessary, Ron. That thread was five years old! There are all new terrible bands (and genres!) that deserve to be cut off. I just thought everybody might get a kick out of the old posts. Same as it every was... (Which reminds me, I'd totally cut off the Talking Heads branch.)

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Jake wrote: (Which reminds me, I'd totally cut off the Talking Heads branch.)

I would spare the Talking Heads branch if only to keep the Stop Making Sense movie and CD. Wonderful...

Return to “Rants and Raves”