Sell Outs?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Meanwhile, back in the actual 1950s, police were beating blacks with hoses, kids who listened to Elvis were called "hoods," and people only bathed once a week. I blame George Lucas and Fonzie for that.

And Sha Na Na!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
Meanwhile, back in the actual 1950s, police were beating blacks with hoses, kids who listened to Elvis were called "hoods," and people only bathed once a week. I blame George Lucas and Fonzie for that.

And Sha Na Na!
Jake wrote:And Sha Na Na!

When I was a stupid kid, I remember watching that stuff and asking my folks if they dressed like that. After they stopped laughing hysterically, they said no. First, they were in England at the time, and second, most people didn't do much of what we believe happened in any given decade. (Although my dad DID wear a drape coast after the war, which was both stylin' and practical. I can say no more.)

The bullshit cultural headlines and blabity blah is media hype of a era that existed on the front page. I don't think most people experienced it; they were too busy getting on with their lives.

At a friend's house I was stuck listening to Whitesnake, which I announced I hated. Another friend looked at me disgusted (he's 13 years younger than me) and decried, "You're not one of these people who hates the 80s, are you?" I looked at him, "I was fucking there, son. You weren't even born." He's learned since. No, we didn't all wear fucking acid wash and listen to Flock of fucking Seagulls. High school wasn't a John Hughes movie for most of us.

It was exactly at that point I realized how my parents felt.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 pm

miss carol wrote:
I know what you mean, but remember that people have very selective memories. The people I went to high school with who thought I was wierd because of the music and radio I listened are now waxing nostalgic about say The Cure or The Clash. They fucking hated that shit; they were all about Madonna, Lionel Richie and Air Supply. But that's not cool now. And marketers know that, so they grab the "cool" stuff, and sell the former preps who are now minivan driving soccer moms memories they never had that they, in fact, disparaged back in the day. This makes sense, of course, because these people have either 1) much more disposable, or 2) the idiocy to rack up loads of credit to make like the Jones.

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:WORD!

I've run into a handfull of old highschool classmates, people who in High School called me a [email protected] every day and regularly threatened to kill me because of my clothes, hair and music. And they've asked me if I go to "80s night" at a local bar that plays 80s alterna-hits on Sundays. One of them is a guy who threatened in 1988 to burn my car with me in it because of all the "queer" stickers on the back of it. Somehow, the fact that they all listened to Boston and Journey back then has been been forgotten, and instead they wax fondly of a time that never was, when we were all hipsters together.

#@$% them!

Yes, hmm...I think you're both correct. When I hear 'retro' radio playing the Clash or Ramones or even Blondie now, I get pissed off when I recall that none of that - NONE OF IT - was played on the radio in Texas. If I wanted to buy something that wasn't Bob Seger (sorry Michigan guys) I had to drive 20 miles through downtown Dallas to get to Metamorphosis Records. And yet, now that music's become part of everyone's nostalgia trip

Fuck. I'm feeling all curmudgeonly now.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:28 pm

The kicker? I hear Talking Heads and Elvis Costello in the grocery store. No joke. Last week I was in the No Frills (a discount shop) and I heard "Once in a Lifetime." Real up music, you know, when you're shopping for generic soup. It was followed up by Rick Astley's "Never Going to Give You Up." It was like I swallowed a bottle of Prozac with a candy-floss chaser.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:39 pm

miss carol wrote:It was like I swallowed a bottle of Prozac with a candy-floss chaser.

Miss Carol, you certainly can turn a phrase.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 am

miss carol wrote:
I know what you mean, but remember that people have very selective memories. The people I went to high school with who thought I was wierd because of the music and radio I listened are now waxing nostalgic about say The Cure or The Clash. They fucking hated that shit; they were all about Madonna, Lionel Richie and Air Supply. But that's not cool now. And marketers know that, so they grab the "cool" stuff, and sell the former preps who are now minivan driving soccer moms memories they never had that they, in fact, disparaged back in the day. This makes sense, of course, because these people have either 1) much more disposable, or 2) the idiocy to rack up loads of credit to make like the Jones.

Too right, Miss C. And the supreme irony-they still don't know who the Replacements were.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Too right, Miss C. And the supreme irony-they still don't know who the Replacements were.

And that's why we must kick them in the shins repeatedly. Wouldn't it be funny if the Replacements attempted a reunion tour to "cash in" and fucked that up, too, or would it just be typical?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:

Hey, they didn't know who Alex Chilton was!

Oh, and thank you Jaimeo. I rather liked that one too. Suitable for framing, I should think :)

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:41 am

jaimoe0 wrote:
And that's why we must kick them in the shins repeatedly. Wouldn't it be funny if the Replacements attempted a reunion tour to "cash in" and fucked that up, too, or would it just be typical?

Ha, they never got popular enough to make a reunion tour work! Maybe if they opened for Dinosaur Jr.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:26 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:

They'd probably fuck it up. But it would be fun to see Tommy Stinson take a break from Guns and Roses to play in front of small crowds of stoned 40-year-olds.

Or did I just describe today's GnR audience?

Return to “Rants and Raves”