Music for Crackers

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Music for Crackers

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 pm

How bad has it gotten for the music industry? Starbucks is selling Norah Jones cds. Not too surprising. We've all seen it. "Coffee House music" for the middle class suburbanites. Ok, we can forgive that.

Now, if you were a Cracker, where would buy your tunes?

http://cbmusic.crackerbarrel.com/artist ... y-robinson

Cracker Barrel is pleased to announce the newest CD release in its exclusive music program will be Smokey Robinson! Entitled Now and Then, this CD will feature 12 songs. Six are live versions of his well-known classics and the other six are from his 2009 CD, Time Flies When You're Having Fun.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:13 am

???

You'd think they'd go more bluegrass than Motown.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:00 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:???

You'd think they'd go more bluegrass than Motown.

Indeed, the other 15 or so bands on their list run the gamut from Alison Krauss to Ricky Flatts or whatever his name is. This is them branching out!

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:22 am

I'm guessing that the average age of their customers is around 60. People that age are still in the thick of the CD revolution. They used to eat at Sambo's and saw nothing racist about it. They're like my mother who still has an AOL account. Those folks don't download music. They watch The Country Music awards, they think Obama was born in Africa and buy clothes at WalMart. The country store asthetic of Craker Barrel is a ripe location to sell them music.

And it's also a good place to reafirm your bigotry and homophobia!

Policy of discrimination against LGBT employees

In 1991, Cracker Barrel instituted a policy requiring employees to display "normal heterosexual values which have been the foundation of families in our society." The company refused to change their policy in the face of protest demonstrations by gay rights groups. After ten years of proposals by the New York City Employees Retirement System, a major shareholder, the company's shareholders voted 58 percent in 2002 in favor of rescinding the policy. The board of directors added sexual orientation to the company's nondiscrimination policy.

Nonetheless, Cracker Barrel, along with Archer Daniels Midland and Nestle Purina Pet Care, achieved the lowest score (15 out of 100) of all rated food and beverage companies in the Human Rights Campaign's 2008 Corporate Equality Index, a measure of gay and lesbian workplace equality.

Complaints of pattern of alleged racial discrimination against guests

In the early 2000s and again in 2006, Cracker Barrel faced accusations including a pattern of racial discrimination in its treatment of guests. After national press attention to these accusations, the company announced explicit policies intended to address the charges, and paid $2 million for race and sexual harassment at three Illinois restaurants. Stores now display a sign in their front foyer clarifying this policy, as has become the policy after a similar incident involving Denny's restaurants.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:59 pm

I grew up around Sambo's and used to eat there without seeing anything racist about it, until one day in college I was like "holy shit! that name is racist!"

I also used to have biscuits and gravy at Jimmy Dean's. Man that stuff was good.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 am

jonas wrote:I grew up around Sambo's and used to eat there without seeing anything racist about it, until one day in college I was like "holy shit! that name is racist!"

Dude, that's exactly what happened to me. I remember sitting in a history class in college and BAM, it just hit me. That restaurant was fucking racist, man! RACIST!

When I was a kid we ate there all the time. I had a cousin named Sam. Everyone in my family used to call her "Little Sambo."

Return to “Rants and Raves”