Jack White ebay auction controversy

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Jack White ebay auction controversy

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm

interesting brewhaha on the intertubes this week regarding Jack White's label using eBay to sell limited edition releases.

From The Guardian UK

There is a rebellion brewing among fans of Jack White's label, Third Man Records, over the company's decision to auction limited-edition releases to the highest bidder. After admitting that Third Man was inspired by profiteers who "flipped" the label's releases on eBay, White has waded into the debate, telling critics to "stop all of the whining". "We didn't do anything to you but give you what you want," he wrote. "Don't want them to be expensive? Then guess what? Don't WANT them."

Since 2009, White has been issuing limited-edition records on his Third Man imprint, including releases by the Dead Weather, Conan O'Brien and the White Stripes. Many of these are released in runs of 100 or 300 copies, with tri-colour, glow-in-the-dark or oddly sized vinyl. Although these limited editions often resell for hundreds of pounds, Third Man sold them on a first-come, first-served basis through its Nashville headquarters, "pop-up shops" and a paid members' service, the Vault. With the label's rising profile, and its releases' rising values, Third Man has attracted "flippers", who buy limited records purely sell online.

This week, Third Man Records decided to beat the flippers at their own game, listing their own limited-edition White Stripes reissues on eBay. Vault subscribers were directed to these auctions, where bids have soared to more than $300 (£193). But many Third Man Records fans are furious about the label's new strategy, taking to the label's message board to complain about "fan exploitation" and "FU to Vault members". White waded in with a series of stern responses.

Frankly, I dont' understand what the problem is here. These are limited edition items. It's not keeping any of his fans from buying one of his songs for a buck online.

Until I read this article I had been puzzling over this tweet from Billy Corgan earlier this week:

@Billy I love that Jack White is calling out entitled people for what they are. Go Jack! Go Third Man Records...

Corgan has been selling limited edition EP "boxes" this year. While I've heard some fans complaining about the $20 price tag, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. In the case of The Pumpkins, the songs on the EPs are available for FREE on their website.

IMO, anything like this that generates LEGAL revenue from fans who WANT to pay the price for it is OK. We should want these guys to make a living, especially if that living excludes a major label or Live Nation.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Who let Jack on the internet? Bad idea.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Jake wrote:Who let Jack on the internet? Bad idea.

I heard Ryan Adams talked him into it.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 pm

jonas wrote:
I heard Ryan Adams talked him into it.

fucking stupid bullshit ryan adams. be careful what you say to him.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yoTUXBbaFjE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yoTUXBbaFjE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

"Old man, it's probably time for you to get out of the fuckin' business!"

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
fucking stupid bullshit ryan adams. be careful what you say to him.

Beware - Ryan and his stick are always watching...

Return to “Rants and Raves”