Advice: Teenage Fanclub

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Advice: Teenage Fanclub

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:18 am

In this thread, I am asking for advice and suggestions. I have NEVER listened to Teenage Fanclub.

Never.

How this happened I don't know. But I'm going to rectify this right away. I'm going to crawl my way through Teenage Fanclub. Is it worth starting from the beginning, buying or downloading each album in cronological order starting with A Catholic Education? Or would it be wiser to abridge their catalog and get some great music value out of specific albums or individual tracks?

Do I need or should I bother with all of it? For example, if someone asked me this question regarding Pavement I'd give them a list of about a dozen individual tracks and tell them to keep it simple. If someone asked me this question about The Smiths, I'd say buy everything and listen to the albums in order and make sure you throw in Morrissey's Viva Hate at the end.

I need your help. Be my guide.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Hmm, good question. I can only speak for myself, but the ones I can recommend without hesitation are Bandwagonesque, Grand Prix, and Songs From Norther Britain. Howdy is good but not as good; I haven't heard all of Thirteen, but liked what I heard. I can't speak intelligently on the rest, but the first three I mentioned are masterpieces.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Six Seconds - A Short Cut to Teenage Fanclub is actually a really good "best of" collection. There's also an acoustic collection out there and definitely worth downloading.

I get a big, big smile whenever the Fannies show up on shuffle. Love 'em.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Depends on what your preference is. "Songs From Northern Britain" is a power pop masterpiece. "A Catholic Education" is more, um, early 90's college rock-ish? "Bandwagonesque" is kind a sprinkling of both, so maybe that's a good introduction.

Maybe start with those three, and if you're disappointed in one, don't let it sully your opinion of the others. Or you could end like me and just love them all.

If you're just looking for songs, try this one on:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xw49UgKoZnQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xw49UgKoZnQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kiko Jones

re: Teenage Fanclub

Postby Kiko Jones » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:52 pm

You might look into this Baker's dozen:

“The Concept”
“What You Do To Me”
“Star Sign”
“Alcoholiday”
“Hang On”
“Radio”
“120 Mins”
“Gene Clark”
"Sparky's Dream"
"Don't Look Back"
"Neil Jung"
"I'll Make It Clear"
"I Gotta Know"

The above are from Bandwagonesque [DGC-1991], Thirteen [DGC-1993], and Grand Prix [DGC-1995], respectively. If you like what you hear, from here on in you can proceed with the rest, taking into account that the tunes get less-grungy, more Byrds-like as you go further along.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:41 am

If you're going to start with one Teenage Fanclub record, I'd recommend starting with <i>Grand Prix</i>. There's always a few great songs on every TF record, but this record's chock full of them. I had to be pretty ruthless to cram the highlights of my musical collection onto my 32 GB iPhone, but 9 of the 13 songs on <i>Grand Prix</i> still made the cut.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Got into the Fannies with "Bandwagonesque," and that's as good a place to start as any. I think "Catholic Education" is definitely the sound of a band trying to find their way, and Norman's songs are the standouts there. By the time of "Thirteen," the other two songwriters had caught up for the most part. I guess I'd say start with "Bandwagonesque," "Thirteen" and "Grand Prix." If that turns you into a fan (and it should!), then you can proceed with the rest of the catalog. I don't have "Howdy" or the latest,"Shadows," but I intend to get them. The rest, I love.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:58 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Six Seconds - A Short Cut to Teenage Fanclub is actually a really good "best of" collection.

Agreed. It's a great compilation of really, really good songs.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

Been through Grand Prix a few times. Trying to decide if I want to buy another long play worth of songs. I'm gonna give it a few more days and if I'm still grovin' I'll probably go for Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Six Seconds .

Trying to listen to this one straight through has been a chore. Not because I don't like it. The tunes are good. I just don't seem to have time in my day anymore to sit down and slide through an LP. I used to. I used to drop the needle (so to speak) and ride an album from start to finish. What happened? I don't have kids. i work about as much as I used to. It's the fucking technology. It's just not listener friendly.

Now I find myself starting and stopping it a lot in an effort to make it all the way through the track listing.

It's too easy to do that. Instead of grooving in my living room with a stereo my main listening machine has become my iPhone. This is NOT good. It's crushing my music mellow in a bad way.

I remember getting Strangeways Here We Come and listening to it 10 times straight through without so much as a bathroom break. Every song got burned onto my soul like a bad tatoo. Years from now when I'm demented and insane in an old folks home I'm afraid I won't remember these tracks I pick up today from iTunes. It'll be the ones I first listened to on vinyl or CD.

Bob

teenage fanclub

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Songs From Northern England is fucking sublime. Grand Prix and Bandwagonesque are only a hair less essential. The new one is pretty strong though it has become sort of predictable in its presentation...12 songs, four from each of them. That one song on there "Still Have Thee" or whatever its called...ranks with their best songs ever.

Return to “Rants and Raves”