Advice: Teenage Fanclub

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:33 am

Hey, there's an ad down below that suggests that "Grand Prix" and "Songs from Northern Britain" have been combined as one release. That is a can't-miss twofer. If physical media helps you give albums a deeper listen, get that twofer ... yesterday.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 am

You guys and your opposition to compilations! All because some nerdy Canadian comedy troupe says they're for "housewives and little girls." You all realize they're making fun of the guy who says that, right?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xillqqt0Y0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xillqqt0Y0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Compilations are the perfect introduction to a band for a newbie. Especially for a band that's had any growth or development, a good comp allows you to sample the different styles and then dig in deeper to the stuff you like best. If it's it's your thing, you'll eventually gather up the complete discography. That's what people like us do.

A well put together comp is a good gateway to later obsession.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Nice, Jake! Glad to see Kids in the Hall get kudos. Loved those guys. And, yes, best-ofs can be be the gateway into the most prestigious hotel in the world....man.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:46 pm

For example, everybody need to have "Everything Flows," but do you absolutely need A Catholic Education? I don't.

So...Scott, since you already have Grand Prix, now you need to download "Everything Flows" and then "The Concept" off of Bandwagonesque, and you'll have the essential Fannies material. If you want more, get that whole compilation. And after that, if you still think you need more, start getting the albums that have the songs you like best on them.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:08 pm

In support of Jake's argument I direct you to the following:
Neil Young - Decade
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 pm

D. Phillips wrote:In support of Jake's argument I direct you to the following:
Neil Young - Decade
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs

I agree on the comp issue.

However, Louder than bombs isn't really THAT kind of comp. It's a bunch of singles, b sides and extras that weren't on any of the Smith's regular albums. Most people just view it as a stand alone LP. Argueably one of their best.

A better example of a Smiths Comp for newbies would be The World Won't Listen, which has "the hits" from all their albums except Strangeways.

I would really really like this to degenerate into a Smiths argument thread. THAT would be fun. I'll bust out my Smiths denim jacket!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:45 am

Jake wrote:You guys and your opposition to compilations! All because some nerdy Canadian comedy troupe says they're for "housewives and little girls." You all realize they're making fun of the guy who says that, right?

Wha?

Next you'll tell us that Santa isn't real.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:14 pm

[quote="Sugarcubes Forever"][/quote]

Who are YOU to lecture ME on The Smiths? The debate was about "comps" and not limited to "best of.." or "Greatest Hits" so Louder Than Bombs stands. I might also through in Hatful of Hollow if we're going to get snippy.

In other news...I am launching a thread where we discuss our favorite comps.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:51 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
Who are YOU to lecture ME on The Smiths? The debate was about "comps" and not limited to "best of.." or "Greatest Hits" so Louder Than Bombs stands. I might also through in Hatful of Hollow if we're going to get snippy.

In other news...I am launching a thread where we discuss our favorite comps.

No offense to you or the Morrisey Twins, but your suggestion for Louder Than Bombs was not appropriate for "best of" type comps, which was the topic at hand.

so YEAH. me lecture YOU! me lecture you LONG TIME!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 pm

I'll drop some Smiths knowledge on all your asses. Hatful, World Won't Listen, and Louder Than Bombs are all collections of singles, b-sides, and radio sessions.

Hatful of Hollow contained mostly 1983 BBC sessions plus a few singles and b-sides. Released in 1984.

World Won't Listen gathers up the singles and b-sides from 1985-86. Released in 1987.

Neither of those was released in the US when Louder Than Bombs came out originally as a US-only collection that was supposed to combine the best of the two non-US comps. Since it contained several unique songs (and mixes) unavailable on any other album, it eventually got released in the UK as well.

What we really need is a brand new comp of all of the non-album studio recordings and complete BBC sessions. If done correctly, it would render all three of those comps unnecessary.

Return to “Rants and Raves”