Advice: Chemical Brothers or My Chemical Romance?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Advice: Chemical Brothers or My Chemical Romance?

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:25 am

Over the holidays I've decided to indulge in a few bands that I've totally ignored over the past couple of decades.

I've decided that one of those bands [url]will be Teenage Fanclub.[/url] I want to pick a second one to delve into. It will be either Chemical Brothers or My Chemical Romance. I'm getting out of my comfort zone here. Taking a risk.

Help guide me. Which of these two Chemical themed bands? Chemical Brothers have a deeper catalog. My Chemical Romance seems to be cool with the kids (but might just piss me off).

Pick one of these bands for me to waste my listening time on and suggest a route through their catalog. Do I need to listen to it all? Or is there a list of key tracks that are all I need to appreciate them.

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi. You are my only hope.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:14 pm

I think the lack of replies means neither. Me, I'm going with bands that start with 'G'. Gomez, Guster, and Grandaddy. Somehow they all previously escaped my notice, but no longer.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:18 pm

I am opposed to My Chemical Romance on principle, but damn if some of their songs aren't insanely catchy. Chemical Brothers I've only heard on the radio machine. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm no fucking help on either band. But if I was gonna pick one to explore myself, I think I'd pick Chemical Bros., make a pot of coffee and load the bong. But that's just me.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:39 am

I think I'm going to eschew Chemical Bros. for now and push myself out of my comfort zone and into some "new music" with MCR. this makes me very uncomfortable. Like when I bought 8 Mile on dvd. Or last week when I bought Cee Lo Green's Lady Killer on CD. I wasn't raised this way. But we all need to stretch if we ever want to grow.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:33 am

Loftus digs MCR:

With Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, My Chemical Romance have emerged on the far side of the emo-tallic construct that once defined them; they carve dance floors at the summit of mountains made of cultural trash, light them up with flamethrowers, and chant brainy gibberish until the old folks leave.

At least, I think that's a positive review...

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Loftus poetry (slighty edited)

The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys'
On the far side
The emo-tallic construct that once defined them
They carve dance floors
At the summit of mountains made of cultural trash
Light them up!
With flamethrowers, and chant brainy gibberish
Until the old folks leave