Get Comped

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Get Comped

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Let's list our favorite compilation albums. They don't need to be "Best of..." or "Greatest Hits" (got that, Scott?) to make this list. Anything goes as long as they are compilations and not true albums.

The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs, Hatful of Hollow
Neil Young - Decade
Buffalo Springfield - Retrospective
Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Six Seconds
The Jam - Snap!

More to come...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Single-artist comps, right?

I'd add:

Abba - Gold
The Coctails - The Early Hi-Ball Years
The Cure - Standing on a Beach (cassette)
Madonna - Immaculate Collection
Monkees - Missing Links Vol. 2
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks Volume 2
Tom Waits - Early Years Volumes 1 & 2

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:48 pm

I'd be open to Label comps too. Nothing "genre defining" unless it's so bad ass you think it's a crime if everyone doesn't have it.

And Hot Rocks Vol.1 is sweet too. I dig that early 60s British R&B and I bet you do too.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Smashing Pumpkins, Pisces Iscariot

A necessary evil for those who can't let go of Gish or Siamese Dream.

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged

That's right, Derek. I'm calling that Nirvana live acoustic album a comp, cause it's nothing but covers (which you can't hear from them anywhere else) and their top hits. I say it doesn't count as a live album cause it was recorded in a studio.

The Housemartins - Now That's What I Call Quite Good

since the Housemartins really didn't put out a great deal of music, this one pretty much sums them up and gets you everything you need without having to pick through all the singles or buy both of their regular LP releases.

Depeche Mode - The Singles 81-85

I've always preferred this DM comp to Catching Up With Depeche Mode, because this one includes Everything Counts. It's also a lot better than People Are People, which is half snoozers if you ask me. I'd warn everyone to stay away from all the post 87 remix comps and such.

The Ramones - Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology

Is an "anthology" a comp? All the other Ramones compilations IMO leave something lacking. I think there are something like 12 or more comps out there. Short of owning everything I think this is best one. It covers most of their material and unless you're a freak about them like me you really don't need anything else if own this one.

The Smiths - The World Won't Listen

While Smiths fans cream in their pants for stuff like Hatful of Hollow and anything with liner notes that include the name "John Peel", The World Won't Listen is the best "hits" album out there. I won't even go into the wrongness of The Very Best of The Smiths, which is just a bunch of reissue crap sold 15 years after the band's break-up.

The Smiths - Louder than Bombs

No explanation needed on this one. Probably better than any of their actual studio albums, Louder than Bombs somehow has a vibe that keeps going all the way through it's two dozen tracks. Not sure why, but other than The Pumpkins Pices Iscariot this is the only "comp" album that feels to me like a stand along LP and not a "greatest hits" or anthology disc.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:47 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I'd be open to Label comps too. Nothing "genre defining" unless it's so bad ass you think it's a crime if everyone doesn't have it.

And Hot Rocks Vol.1 is sweet too. I dig that early 60s British R&B and I bet you do too.

I still hate myself for selling Rubáiyát: Elektra's 40th Anniversary comp. At some point at the end of college I was short on cash and I sold it with a stack of CDs for the used bins at Vinyl Solution. It was a multiple disc comp that came with a cool booklet. It had current (1990) Elektra artists covering older Elektra artists. I remember buying it initially because it had a cover of Motorcycle Mama by the Sugarcubes. Of course, I owned EVERYTHING the sugarcubes ever released, so I had to buy it.

It also included Metallica covering a Queen song, which at the time I didn't care for. Probably my favorite track was The Gypsy Kings covering Hotel California.

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Postby R. Burton » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I've always thought that Squeeze's "Singles 45's and Under" and The Pretenders' "The Singles" were just about perfect.

Chuck Berry's "The Great Twenty Eight" is pretty danged good too, but I'm less likely to listen to that one these days.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:45 pm

R. Burton wrote:The Pretenders' "The Singles" ... just about perfect.

Totally agree.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Jake wrote:Tom Waits - Early Years Volumes 1 & 2

I'll see your "Early Years" and raise you one "Beautiful Maladies: The Island Years". That was my first real exposure to him and I think I wore out the grooves in the CD on that one.
Also:
The Beatles - Anthology 3
Led Zeppelin - Live at the BBC

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:06 am

The Best of Guided by Voices: Human Amusements at Hourly Rates.

Not just a great starter disc, but maybe the only way for a newcomer to wade into the vast GBV catalog.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:03 am

The Motown anthologies that are probably out of print. I have the ones (in order of preference) covering the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations and the Four Tops.

The Allen Toussaint Collection: I think it's from the late 80s or early 90s. I had and loved quite a few of his albums from the 70s, but went digital after leaving Alabama in 1988, so it was a godsend to find this. At that time it was about the only thing he had on CD.

Atari Teenage Riot 1992-2000: I really like this and it's about the only thing I know about them. I really don't want or need to know more.

Probably some others, but that's what came to me before I got tired of thinking about it.

Also: I don't have but would like a good Skynyrd comp. Also Peaches.

Return to “Rants and Raves”