Entirely new test thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Entirely new test thread

Postby jonas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:11 pm

DJMurphy wrote:
jonas wrote:I saw the best posts of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through a host of malware....

That's a Pete Townshend reference, right??

Yes. It was in the original libretto to Tommy, but Allen Ginsberg stole it before Townshend could publish.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:24 pm

jonas wrote:
DJMurphy wrote:
jonas wrote:I saw the best posts of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through a host of malware....

That's a Pete Townshend reference, right??

Yes. It was in the original libretto to Tommy, but Allen Ginsberg stole it before Townshend could publish.

Ah, a wiseguy, huh? OK, shame on me for not being literate enough to recognize a clever bastardization of Ginsberg when I see it. But in my defense, Pete wrote a rather wordy quasi-narrative that graces the gatefold of his All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes LP, which follows a similar theme throughout its self-important thread.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:28 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Ah, a wiseguy, huh? OK, shame on me for not being literate enough to recognize a clever bastardization of Ginsberg when I see it. But in my defense, Pete wrote a rather wordy quasi-narrative that graces the gatefold of his All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes LP, which follows a similar theme throughout its self-important thread.

Honestly, I thought you were being funny and I tried to respond in kind. But here's the really funny part: my first response was actually going to be "no, you're confusing it with All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes," but I decided it wasn't funny and didn't make sense (in fact, I wasn't even sure why that specific Townshend reference occurred to me). But apparently it did make sense, and I suppose all those hours and hours of listening to that album (and everything else he published, including the crap) must have baked something into my head.

Music is a weird thing, man.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Though it might also be because I was looking for "North Country Girl" on YouTube the other day and instead came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDYUcGD4Ti0

I never knew Townshend's song was based on a Dylan song.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 pm

As long as we cool. Yes, I'm slightly embarrassed, but you handled it cleverly. And yes, I think I had the hunch about "North Contry Girl" a little while ago. Pete did it on the Live To Benefit Maryville Academy album, and he followed a totally different arrangement, which led me to look into it and discover that Pete wasn't the first to bring this trad song to more current cultural recognition. But unless you're screwing with me again (a very real possibility), you did see the Chinese Eyes similarity to the Ginsberg quote, too.

That's why we're having this conversation on Glorious Noise; one music geek brotha helping out anotha.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 pm

DJMurphy wrote:As long as we cool. Yes, I'm slightly embarrassed, but you handled it cleverly. And yes, I think I had the hunch about "North Contry Girl" a little while ago. Pete did it on the Live To Benefit Maryville Academy album, and he followed a totally different arrangement, which led me to look into it and discover that Pete wasn't the first to bring this trad song to more current cultural recognition. But unless you're screwing with me again (a very real possibility), you did see the Chinese Eyes similarity to the Ginsberg quote, too.

That's why we're having this conversation on Glorious Noise; one music geek brotha helping out anotha.

It's all good, my man.

Well...it would be better if there were more than 3 of us posting here, but I figure that'll work itself out.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Wither Canada?

Present!

Everything seems to be functional so far...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:22 am

testing again

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:36 pm

One more test.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin