the jams

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:11 pm

does anyone here tune into the jam station now and then and follow what is going on in r&b and hip hop? heard anything that is 'off the hook' to your ears? sounds pretty different than the new rock, eh?

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:21 pm

Have you heard the new N.E.R.D. album? I can bob my head to it pretty steadily. That's saying a lot for new hip hop.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:26 am

I have not heard the new N.E.R.D. but with the pedigree it's got, not hard to believe it would bring the head nods.

I think hip hop and R & B need to be listened to and discussed. Pardon my drawing lines in the sand here, but in my opinion, music fans who don't think hip hop and R&B are exciting, can't really call themselves music fans.

Very real sonic experimentation is showing up in the jams. The new Brandy- absolutely groundbreaking with its prismic wall of synthesizers. The New Orleans horn breaks decorating the backing tracks of Mystikal. I even have heard jams that are bringing back the old school electronics of the Mary Jane Girls like an urban-market equivalent of the Faint. The sounds are brilliant.

The song structures are up for grabs too. Aaliyah's More Than a Woman showcases a seamless chorus/verse groove and drags out the fade out. Sunshine Anderson's Heard it All Before from last summer, spends the whole song building in intensity and by the end, the man knows he's -really- out of her life this time.

And what other genre features fat superstars. Missy Elliot, Big Pun, Fat Joe, and these artists are probably only a hint of the fatness to come. Did anyone see Fat Joe at MTV's Spring Break? Shirtless, fat, with his low riders peeping almost a full moon from his big plumber's crack, surrounded by three or five of his fat crew. And the crowd loved him.

And what other genre's videos are constantly at search for the most tricked-out, insane place to get all their friends together and dance. A weightless wind chamber, a giant pistoning engine, a futuristic snow dome, the Wizard of Oz set... each video tops the next.

No small wonder that kids (and many fun loving, emotion feeling non-suburban adults) are eating it up.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:55 pm

. . . the lines have been drawn and, apparently, it's time for me to relenquish my album collection.

Personally, I've never found R&B and Hip Hop less exciting than I do right now. R&B is a huge joke to me these days and hip hop has begun to focus more and more on marketable frontmen/women with big-name produced beats. All of it sounds the same these days.

Is there an equivalent to indie rock in the hip hop world? When is Lauryn Hill coming out with her new album?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:06 pm

Of course there's a hip hop equivilent to Indir rock. Groups like Blackaliscious, Dilated Peoples, Angie Stone (in the R&B world) are all making really good stuff. Now, it's my opinion that hip hop hit its first classic era between PE's Fear of a Black Planet, Ice Cube's Amerikkka's Most Wanted and the back to back classic Dre and Snoop did. But that's not to say there isn't really good, exciting music coming out of those genres. Even John Ashcroft's nightmare, The Coup, have a fucking sweet song on the album that features the World Trade Center blowing up.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:24 am

Now, I'm not familiar with Dilated Peoples but Angie Stone and Blackalicious definitely don't have an indie feel to them. Everything in hip hop and R&B is so slickly produced. I'm thinking of something that is real lo-fi sounding.

On another note, Jurassic 5 is fucking great. They're still slick sounding but, wow, do I love 'em. I'd have to say their last album Quality Control is my favorite hip hop in years (see Golden Age mentioned in Phil's post).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:18 am

Prop, just because it's slick doesn't mean it's not indie. Remember: the means of production are now firmly within the control of the people. I don't particularly give a rat's ass about modern r&b (they pee on children, don't they?), and it's too much work to seek out good hip hop these days, but what exactly are you looking for? Two guys in jogging suits hollering battle rhymes into cheap mics while their fatso friend beatboxes behind them? (Actually, if you find something like that, let me know -- I bet it's dope.)

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:27 am

That's exactly it! Well, except that I demand the jogging suits be made of velour; nothing else will satisfy.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I could give a damn about modern R&B (Sorry Ryan) but it seems like there has to be some rap out there that has a fresh feel to it. Is there anyone playing live instruments besides the Roots these days?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:05 am

Speaking of The Coup (for some unknown reason, it's pronounced "the coop"), I just borrowed their newest disc Party Music from a friend and gave it some thorough listening. I think it's great. The beats are dope, the rapping is good enough, and I found their revolutionary posturing to be an amusing and refreshing alternative to bling-bling. Of course, aforementioned friend disagreed with me about the lyrical content of the album, insisting that it was offensive and irresponsible. But hey, at least it's rap music that's able to incite critical discussion, which is more than I can say for a lot of the commercial shit that Corporate AmeriKKKa has buried us in since about 1994.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffsab on 2002-04-23 10:06 ]</font>

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:37 am

Yes. For that reason, the Coup is outstanding. Musically, they're alright enough, but what they're doing with it makes them outstanding. I heard my first Coup track a couple of weeks ago. The narrator's friend works as a banquet server. The narrator trades clothes with his friend, and makes his way into this soiree, full of the town's power elite. It's a world the narrator has never seen before. The belly of the beast, so to speak. All described by the narrator in rich detail. And the good ol' boys are making plans for their next move. What will our hero do?

Return to “Rants and Raves”