Tusk

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:23 pm

Has anyone here heard Tusk?

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:24 pm

The album, not the band. I hope there is not a band called Tusk.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:33 pm

The Fleetwood Mac song? Yeah, it rocks.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:53 pm

That was one the first vinyl albums that I owned. Don't you think that Mac Fleetwood looks a little like Frank Zappa? And don't you think that Stevie Nicks is the long lost third sister from Hart?

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:03 pm

She totally could have been in Heart! Except, have you seen Ann and Nancy these days? Ouch, rock & roll took it's toll on those two.

I still love Heart though! Man, Crazy On You is such a fucking good song.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:12 pm

Scott, I think you mean Mick Fleetwood.

Ryan, I have Tusk and don't like it other than the title track. Fleetwood Mac and Rumors are better albums. The original punk scene was basically built in response to the arrogance and opulance of Tusk-like albums. Funny, eh?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:18 pm

Phil, why you always gotta be correcting me?

Mick, Mac, whatever.

Lindsey Buckingham was the mastermind, and we all know it. Just look at all that eyelinger. He HAD to be the man.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:31 pm

At risk of this turning into a discussion about those two yo-yos in Heart, I'm gonna lay down, quickly, what I wanted to get out about Tusk. Now maybe this would be different if you heard the record first when you were a kid, Scotty, I dunno. But the Tusk album is one freewheeling son of a bitch. I don't mean in terms of fun, although the music seems to be having more fun than Cheech eating a stack of hash brownies off a whore's chest. I mean it's freewheeling in terms of the sounds it throws down over 20 tracks. Well, specifically, I'm talking about the Lindsey Buckingham material.

Like looking up at the sun, Buckingham's California cuts are deceptively simple on the surface. Then, similar to squinting at said sun, upon close listen the tracks explode into shards of hooky, near-random components. Some have called it "freak pop"... not a bad name. It's got more stitches than Frankenstein, was certainly invented by a mad scientist, is ugly to some, beautiful to others and is as much fun as a popcorn double feature.

Now this is not to deny that most albums don't sound awesome when you train your ear to 'em and give them an honest listen. Everyone knows that most albums sound much better when you give 'em your full attention. But when Tusk came out in '79, that album really let down a drawbridge and invited millions of people to walk across the moat dividing pop from swerving cacophony. Walk slow like Buckingham, and take the time to stop and smell the putrescence.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:49 pm

Just so Phil doesn't have to "always" correct Scotty, it's eyeliner not "eyelinger."

Ryan, yo-yo's from heart?!?!? Now you're looking for a fight! What woman has ever (before or after) played better rock guitar than Nancy Wilson?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:22 pm

Interesting to note - I remember The Knack came out about the same time, and they had recorded their power-pop platinum album in something like 8 weeks, while Fleetwood Mac (much like Supertramp, Kansas, Styx, etc,) took (I think) almost 2 years to come out with Tusk.

Of course Tusk didn't sell as well as The Knack did. That fact taught the industry a huge lesson about pop music.

Tusk kind of dragged the whole prog/art-rock thing down and sounded a death knell for the AOR dinosaurs. And thus, New Wave was born!

BTW, I'm not really ripping on either Tusk or The Knack - they both have merits in my book. Just giving you all something to ponder...

Return to “Rants and Raves”