Booking Indie Bands

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue May 07, 2002 9:10 am

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any clue as to how much it would take to book a medium sized into a very small venue? I work at a brewery and was thinking how awesome it would be to get a great band in to the place.

We had Jim Roll in there last Saturday, I had never heard of him before but he had a great alt.country sound and the size of the room gave the show a real intimate appeal.

I'm thinking about a band like Low or something soft like that. Anyone have any clue what their or something similar's booking price would be?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue May 07, 2002 9:34 am

I hear those guys in Riviera are available...

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue May 07, 2002 9:43 am

FYI, a little Internet-satisfied curiosity produced the following info:

Low's Web site is http://www.chairkickers.com which reveals in the FAQ that the booking agent is the Billions Corp. at http://www.billions.com .

Can't hurt to give them a call, right? Just let us know what they tell you. I'm as curious as you on this issue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffsab on 2002-05-07 09:44 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffsab on 2002-05-07 09:44 ]</font>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue May 07, 2002 10:21 am

Billions Corp. handles a lot of medium sized bands and will tell you flat out what the expenses are. What you should do is try to find a band that's touring the midwest and try to book one of their open dates. That will be MUCH cheaper for you. Otherwise, you'll have to include travel and lodging, which bumps the price significantly.

You should also check out Undertow. They're a label here in Chicago that also manages and promotes bands. They have a very handy touring schedule for their artists with availability and all sorts of helpful info. Plus, Bob's a great guy and advertiser on Glorious Noise.

Riviera is available but pricey.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: D. Phillips on 2002-05-07 10:25 ]</font>

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue May 07, 2002 10:30 am

Thanks guys! It'd be great to get the Handsome Family in there from Undertow. Hmm, I wonder!?!?

I'd try to get Riviera but I heard their dressing room demands are unheard of. Coke, strippers, white grapes, Kit Kat bars that are pre-seperated, 16 lbs of raw flank steak, etc. I could afford the booking, not the amenities though.

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Tue May 07, 2002 11:36 am

Billions is also in Chicago and books a lot of medium to bigger indie bands/artists, many of whom live in Chicago...Sally Timms, Rebecca Gates, Stephen Malkmus...in fact maybe getting a solo artist to do something like that would be cool. They are actually very nice people and worth contacting.
You could also try Red Ryder...no Chicago bands but they are smaller and based in Chicago. Or some Chicago labels like Thrill Jockey or Touch & Go. Don't know about pricing, though, but even bigger booking agents tend to be pretty nice people and might be willing to work with you.

Return to “Rants and Raves”