The old MP3 vs. albums issue

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:56 am

I haven't purchased a CD from a record store in more than 3 years. Thinking about it now, and I'm ashamed to admit it, the only CDs I have purchased since my last foray into my local music shop have been from Starbucks.

God damn it all!

For several years all my music purchases have been downloads. I listen to those tunes either on my Ipod (usually shuffled). Or I burn MP3s to blank discs and use them in my truck.

For the past year, though, most of my listening has been to Sirius. Whether it's in my truck or online while I'm at work. I'm so busy now I don't have much time to search for or sort through Music. I usually bounce around about half a dozen or so Sirius channels.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:55 am

Jake wrote:Five year BUMP.
1. If you have an iPod, how often if ever do you listen to whole albums in order on it? (I listen to albums in order once or twice and then let them fall into the shuffle mix.)

2. What percentage of your music listening is physical vs digital? (I'm about 85% digital, 10% physical, 5% radio.)

3. How often if ever do you purchase digital files? (Me: 30/month via emusic; 2-3/month elsewhere.)

1. Don't own an iPod, no plans to buy one.

2. This one is weird. Even though I don't buy mp3's (haven't bought a single one yet), I do occasionally use the files to listen to stuff, preview stuff, etc. I then assemble them onto CD-R for listening to in my car. I'd still say 90% physical media, whether it's LP or CD.

3. Like I said, haven't bought a single mp3 yet. I am thinking of breaking down and buying Westerberg's new one... and throwing it onto CD!!! ;) I don't buy nearly as much music as I did/should; in 5 years time, I've gotten two kids. At this rate, I'm gonna have a full house!!!!!!

And even though I'm still not happy that the industry is leaning full-tilt towards digital music media vs. traditional physical media, I have to concede that my beloved CD is fading. It will never die, but it will remain a niche product. And I don't wish death on the majors; they're doing that quite nicely to themselves.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:04 am

1) About the same--On my iPod listen to full albums a couple of times and then shuffle them.

2) 80% digital; 20% physical--I haven't used my CD player in at least 2 years. My physical music is only through vinyl.

3) 65 songs a month through emusic. Occasionally, I'll buy some stupid song on iPod because I'm drunk and want to hear it. (Maybe 3 or 4 a year.)

It's interesting, although I buy very few cds a year now, I immediately rip them and file them away. I recently moved and still haven't unpacked the many boxes of cds. I think I might sell them, which I never would have considered doing a year or two ago. That said, the first thing I unpacked in our new place was my vinyl, and I still buy quite a lot of it. I love what some labels (Sub Pop, Saddle Creek, and I think Matador) are doing--when you buy the vinyl, you get a code to download all of the songs. That's a really wise business decision, I think. I hope the other independent-ish labels (especially Domino) will follow. Say what you will about vinyl (inconvenient, delicate, FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS TO MOVE, etc.), but it has staying power.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:41 am

This week, I just spent my first money ever on an MP3 file.
0.49 on the new Paul Westerberg album.
Best money I ever spent.
I still do not own an Ipod or other MP3 device. I spin discs and files directly from my laptop and burn files as needed for portable listening.
2008 is the year that I will purchase an Ipod, leaving Murph alone in his land of AARP music formats. I plan on stopping by Murph's place to listen to old Big Star albums when I drop off his Meals on Wheels dinners.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:23 am

Shocking results, apparently we're dealing with a bunch of Luddites.

Since moving earlier this year (and having a baby) I haven't even set up most of the old stereo. It's just that we're hoping to get a new console-table thing that fits it better. I still have some records out, even tho the turntable is in the closet. I guess I'm a bit of a poser in that way, but I'm holding out from putting them in storage because I can imagine a day when I havve time to get it going again.

In that light...
1) I got an iPod touch which holds considerably more music than the old nano., and I have more complete albums on there. I still mostly listen to a mix, but recently I have been listening to the Al Green, Jonathan Richman, new Walkmen, She & Him, Otis Blue reissue, among others, all the way thru. They work better that way. This question is slightly skewed because a lot of music out there is released for a singles-only world nowadays, and I get a lot of fun one-offs and samples and remixes off the net.

2) 99% digital. Only when I rent a car do I enven attempt to listen to a CD. If you have a new iPhone or an iPod touch there is a great FREE app that lets you control your iTunes from your iPod. My computer streams my iTunes to my stereo, so now I am no longer tethered to the desk to keep the tunes pumping.

3) I purchase quite a few digital files, mostly from Amazon mp3, occasionally from iTunes (I hate DRM, but sometimes they have exclusives). When I can, I order the CD and rip it. I download a lot of material from blogs and let other people do the culling for me.

A brave new world that may not be perfect but is closing in on the dream of having all the music I could think of right at my fingertips.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:36 am

worpswede wrote:2008 is the year that I will purchase an Ipod

It's fun. But beware: it can really make you crazy if you have OCD type tendencies.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:37 am

1. If you have an iPod, how often if ever do you listen to whole albums in order on it? (I listen to albums in order once or twice and then let them fall into the shuffle mix.)

I listen to an album once through. If it is fantatsic, I'll return. If not then the songs just fall into shuffle. As you know, I love making mixes, so...

I do find myslef listening to older albums in their complete form than newer stuff, which may be a result of how I first encountered them.

2. What percentage of your music listening is physical vs digital? (I'm about 85% digital, 10% physical, 5% radio.)

I am about 70% digital (iPod on the train), 20 Physical (vinyl, I rarely listen to CDs anymore), and then just recently 10% Pandora, which is helping me find new music.

3. How often if ever do you purchase digital files? (Me: 30/month via emusic; 2-3/month elsewhere.)

Purchase? Maybe 25-30 a mo. Through various other means including advances from labels? Too many to count and keep up with. I am buried under music right now.

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:51 am

Jake wrote:

Ad wrote:
3) 65 songs a month through emusic. Occasionally, I'll buy some stupid song on iPod because I'm drunk and want to hear it. (Maybe 3 or 4 a year.)

D. Phillips wrote:
Purchase? Maybe 25-30 a mo. Through various other means including advances from labels? Too many to count and keep up with. I am buried under music right now.

You know, I've become so overwhelmed feeling like I have to use all 30/mo. via eMusic. It's been great for building some back catalog stuff to newer bands that I've been discovering, but I'll be damned if I actually listen to it all. I'm basically buying 3 albums-worth/mo. of music (for cheap, I grant you -- even though they just increased the monthly fee), and I didn't come close to that figure when I was buying only CD's and no digital files.

It's gotten to the point that I'm considering putting a hold on finding "new" stuff, just so that I can get through my "old" new stuff. Silly "problem" to have, in the grand scheme of things, I suppose.

Still -- buried is a good word for it.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Jake wrote:Five year BUMP.

Crazy how much can change in five years. Where are you all now?

1. I almost EXCLUSIVELY listen to whole albums in order on an iPod (not including skipping a track or two I'm not in the mood for). The only time I use the Shuffle Songs feature is when I want to listen to something but have no idea what I want to listen to. And then inevitably a song comes on early in the mix and I say "OK, THIS is what I want to listen to now" and I'll put that album on in order.

I just drove to Montreal with my pals two weeks ago, and I was determined to leave Shuffle on for the whole 5 hour car ride. About 90 minutes in, I abandoned that concept and started playing straight up albums. What can I say.

2. 90% digital. I'm learning how to scratch (DJ Tom4, coming to a bar near you to play 5 hours of Radiohead and Broken Social Scene!), so vinyl in that regard makes up the rest of my listening.

3. Since I got my first iPod about 4 or 5 years ago, I've bought maybe 7 or 8 digital albums. I never buy individual MP3s. And most of the albums I bought -- the new Radiohead, Stars, and Broken Social Scene/Brendan Canning -- have been because they were trying to counteract shitty sound quality leaks. Oh, I "bought" the new Girl Talk, except I paid 0.00 for it.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:57 pm

worpswede wrote:2008 is the year that I will purchase an Ipod, leaving Murph alone in his land of AARP music formats. I plan on stopping by Murph's place to listen to old Big Star albums when I drop off his Meals on Wheels dinners.

So does that mean I get to laugh when all yr. iPods simultaneously crash, meaning countless collections lost, and I alone have a music collection not beholden to the mercy of a hard drive's functionality?

So when you drop off my Meals On Wheels, does that come with a sponge bath from a college-aged candystriper??

Return to “Rants and Raves”