media vs. punk rock?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 11:38 am

If all you want is performance art, I'm shocked that you're a regular poster to this site.

I want genuine human emotion to come through in rock and roll. If it's a song about heartbreak, I would like to believe they've truly felt heartbreak. Also, songs about lust and sex, I'm sure that's genuine.

If it's a song about being evil, I want to hear it from an evil mother-fucker. I like Motley Crue for the fact that they sing about being dirty and crude and they're true to it in life.

You can have Warrant and Slaughter for their performace art. I'll take the Crue any day!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon May 13, 2002 11:46 am

"You can have Warrant and Slaughter for their performace art. I'll take the Crue any day!"

I can't believe you just called Warrant and Slaughter performance artists. We are living in truly strange times.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon May 13, 2002 12:32 pm

Oh, I hear you Prop. Well sure, we all want songs that we can feel, made by someone who feels the emotion being expressed in the song, or at least felt it when they wrote the song. Probably everyone reading this wants to be a part of a feeling experience in rock where the performer is transmitting some feelings to you through the music. To not feel it, well, that's Top 40 and no one here wants that.

But you seem to be saying that someone who feels the music, also has to live it- not true.

You can be the nicest, most scrubbed clean-cut office working schmoe, but you can make music that is truly "evil", because it comes from that evil part of you. There is evil in everyone and it needn't be at the surface all of the time, for it to be valid expression when you're up there on the stage. In fact, I find it MORE exciting when a sentiment is coming out of a performer and you don't expect it. The James Iha solo album was pretty cool for that reason- you think, where did this come from?!?!

If you say a non-evil person can't write a good evil song, that's like saying Derek Phillips can't write a gooey soft rock love song when I know for a fact he's got 100 of 'em swimming around in the back of his mind.

People are complex and deep. ANYONE can be an evil mother fucker at a rock show.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon May 13, 2002 12:50 pm

Wait a minute. What is that supposed to mean? I don't have feelings? Dpn't believe the hype. I hurt. I have feelings...you shithead.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon May 13, 2002 2:44 pm

oh, excuse me, Christopher Cross...

Embryonic

Postby Embryonic » Wed May 15, 2002 10:25 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that when Prop said he had recently gotten back into Motley Crue and "can't get enough" it was all a metaphor. He's actually been reintroduced through his rigorous playing of Gran Turismo 3 Aspec which features "Kickstart My Heart" by Crue.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Wed May 15, 2002 2:28 pm

No, although you're close. I was listening to the Donnas Get Skintight when I heard Too Fast For Love. Now I'm not claiming to be an old school Crue fan, so when I first heard their version, I knew the song but couldn't put my finger on where from. Then someone opened my eyes that it was them and I've been jamming on them since. Hey, the 80's were a confusing time for all of us!

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:01 am

Early in this debate Ryan said "Be an evil motherfucker onstage, but be a good man off of it." That's a nice sentiment, but unfortunately, we're dealing with real human beings. Musicians come in all flavors, just like everyone else does. There's the truly sociopathic, like G.G. Allin, the dangerous and thuggish, but probably not certifiably pyschotic, like Danzig, and then there's guys like Alice Cooper, who have a certain image, but Alice's worst offstage transgressions seem to have been alcoholism and an abnormal interest in history.

Basically, I don't like G.G. Allin's music because it was pretty stupid and boring, not because I think G.G. wouldn't hesitate for a second to take a life. Merle Haggard, on the other hand, is a complex, often angry guy who writes great songs and committed a pretty terrible crime, but I can separate the art from the artist. On top of which, Haggard never wrote a song saying how fucking cool it is to kill somebody, or what a badass he is because he's a killer. He's way more complex than that, and I admire that, too.

Return to “Rants and Raves”