media vs. punk rock?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 10, 2002 10:37 am

To clarify, Vince Neil killed Razzle, a member of Hanoi Rocks, in a drunk driving accident. He also seriosuly injured two other people in another car. He bought his way out of jail time (by his own admission in the fnatastic rock bio, Dirt).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri May 10, 2002 11:39 am

Music criticism and appreciation is an amoral endeavor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake on 2002-05-10 11:39 ]</font>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 10, 2002 11:49 am

I am the worst typist known to man. What's wrong with me?

poopypoopoop
GLONO Board Playa

Postby poopypoopoop » Fri May 10, 2002 12:59 pm

The Vince Neil things spawned the song "Drinking and Driving" by Black Flag. Surprised I know this? You shouldn't be. I am smart as hell.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 10, 2002 2:23 pm

Damn, Poopy. You *are* smart as hell.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 8:12 am

Wow, leave a post and then not check on it for a few days and who knows what will pop up?!?!?

To clarify...

Both R.L. Burnside and Haggard were convicted and served their time that was sentenced to them by the courts prior to making any "recorded" music. I see no reason in boycotting men who have paid there dues. I do see a reason to boycott music that espouses things like violence towards women. Gangsta rap has always been about treating women like shit but at least it hasn't supported the idea of beating women up.

Some of this shitty rap rock that's being so mass marketed to teens is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Marilyn Manson questions God and he's persecuted but Limp Biscuit can sing about abusing women and no one says a word, what the hell's up with that?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon May 13, 2002 8:34 am

The Manson songs are set in a context. I honestly don't believe that he's propogating Naziism. I think he's juxtaposing that sample against the preaching of a hypocritical christian society. Hey, wasn't that what Nazi Germany was? Hmmmm.....

Vince Niel rocks, man. I still love the Crue's very first CD, Too Fast For Love. It barely even sounds like Metal now. I'm actually listening to it right now!!!!

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon May 13, 2002 8:44 am

keep music evil indeed. no one wants a rock and roll scene filled with angels who want to sanitize your brain. give the audience something to think about, a journey into evil, an emotional experience, a release.

but keep music an act. be as evil as you want up there on the stage but be a good man offstage.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 8:54 am

Keep music an act?!?! What on earth are you talking about? Keep music genuine!

Scotty - Too Fast For Love is awesome. I recently gotten back into the Crue and can't get enough lately.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Proptronics on 2002-05-13 08:56 ]</font>

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon May 13, 2002 11:18 am

How is music genuine? It's a performance art. It's a show. A badass show impresses an audience, but take that same personality offstage and you've got a sociopath. You may love the performer for the show, but you don't have to sanction the performer being an asshole off stage. Once I hear someone is an asshole off stage (Vince Neil, Tommy Lee, y'know), I would rather do anything with my money besides give it to them!

Return to “Rants and Raves”