When Rock&Roll Finds God. . .

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 8:25 am

I hope this post doesn't turn into a debate on religion, but I think that's safely out of the realm of the message board.

So, I caught Jon Spencer last Thursday and musically they were dead on HOT!! Yet, something seemed to be missing. As the show went on, I realized that he was mostly doing his new stuff and the old stuff he was doing was suprisingly politically correct. Something was amiss. . .

Finally, it dawned on me during the encore. Spencer went on a ten minute rant about how we need to know Jesus and get right with God. What the hell?!?!?

In one fell swoop, I went from a number one fan to pure anger. I felt betrayed (although it was a drunken betrayal thanks to Helen!). I even passed up the chance to chat up Russel Simmins on my way out because I was so pissed. Was I being a little too critical?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon May 13, 2002 8:29 am

There is no god. Don't believe the hype!

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon May 13, 2002 8:35 am

It's a show, jack. That's not really Jon Spencer up there.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 13, 2002 8:38 am

Are you sure he wasn't just joking? Have you seen his latest video? I saw in 120 Minutes last night, and it's all about him turning into a werewolf and then seducing these nuns into ecstacy via red-eyed Satanic goat hypnosis.

Maybe you were too drunk to get the joke?

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 8:52 am

Maybe I was. . .

But on the new album, that song is on there and he sincerely is singing about "gettin' right with god" and there was not one instance were the man swore. The entire show stunk of political correctness.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon May 13, 2002 10:19 am

I really really love big name rap acts that pump out tracks with lyrics describing nasty sex acts, killing people and drugs. Then when the rapper gets a chance to talk on MTV (or some other forsaken media outlet) the first thing they do is thank the lord, god or jesus. As if the mesiah has blessed them for their lifestyle choices????????

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon May 13, 2002 11:04 am

Jon Spencer soliloquizing for 10 minutes about gettin' right with God would be pretty entertaining. So what if he didn't swear?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon May 13, 2002 11:32 am

It would be pretty hard for Spencer to do "Full Grown," eh? "Baby, baby, baby you sure like to fuck!"

Take a whiff of MY pant leg!
DP

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Mon May 13, 2002 12:13 pm

Hey, I am not taking credit for you getting drunk, prop...but I think you do owe me a few drinks!
sorry to hear that John Spencer's found God, though...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 13, 2002 12:26 pm

I don't buy it for one second.

Return to “Rants and Raves”