When Rock&Roll Finds God. . .

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon May 13, 2002 12:38 pm

Were people laughing while Spencer was doing this? When I saw him in '97, he did a 10-minute rant, but it was about being in love with his wife. He would drop to his knees and just scream with all his might, "I'm in LOOOOOOOVE!" I was giggling uncontrollably by the end of it. Tremendously entertaining. But strangely convincing at the same time...

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 12:56 pm

Well, maybe I'm on the owing end now Helen. You're the one that wouldn't let me get a beer though. I just wanted to tip a few Old Styles like a true Chicagoan. You insisted I order "something expensive". Hence, the introduction of highly potent whiskey into my bloodstream. Yikes!

I don't want to buy the religion bit, either. I've seen him go on many of rants with this being my fourth show.

All I'm saying is that if you've heard the new album, it lacks that raw emotion that typifies his music. It has a song, not just an onstage rant, about finding God. Then, in concert, he pulls mostly from the new album which contains nothing too raw. From the back catalog, he pulls songs like Flavor and Magical Colors which are the easy listening, if there is such a thing, of their songs.

Then, for the encore, to a screaming crowd he begs us to get right with God.

I may be wrong, I hope I'm wrong. That band is my favorite current band and I don't want to lose my love for them but what I witnessed last Thursday evening was the Walmart - Christianized version of what I once considered to be the living embodiment of the sweat and testosterone of Rock & Roll.

Prove me wrong. . . please!?!

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Mon May 13, 2002 1:09 pm

On a slightly different topic, is there Old Style other places besides Chicago? I had a friend in town this weekend from Denver and he was completely enthralled with Old Style and claimed they don't have it in Denver, and then I realized that I don't remember it being anywhere else...Sorry for changing the thread from religion, but some of you, I know this isn't a huge leap.

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 2:01 pm

It's not that you can't find it here, it's more that I'm not ridiculed for drinking it in Chicago. You can't go a block in that town without seeing a neon Old Style sign in a window.

If I'm drinking cheap beer, it's gotta be Old Style or High Life. (maybe a PBR).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 13, 2002 2:12 pm

Mulligan's in Grand Rapids, Michigan, has Old Style longnecks for $1.25. I spent many a happy Tuesday night there, getting loaded and listening to Black Sabbath and the Cure on the jukebox.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Mon May 13, 2002 2:34 pm

maybe it's all a gimmick so that they can become the opening act on the creed tour this summer. hmmmm....

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 3:01 pm

That's my introduction to Old Style as well, Jake. Then I hit the mother load the first time I left downtown Chicago in search of a more fitting place to kill brain cells.

Wouldn't that be great? Sneak their way onto a Creed tour and then scare the fuck out of those people!?!?

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Mon May 13, 2002 4:02 pm

Do guys realize that there are places outside of Chicago or Michigan???
Regarding Creed, someone made the comment this weekend that Creed is "Stryper in different costumes" -- that cracked me up and I had to share...

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Mon May 13, 2002 4:13 pm

So, do you mean that strip of highway that smells funny? Isn't it called Gary or Greg or something like that?

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Mon May 13, 2002 5:44 pm

Apparently you can get Old Style outside of Chicago, and moreover outside of the Midwest, not that you guys would need to know.

Return to “Rants and Raves”