Spin's Top 50 Bands

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon May 20, 2002 4:57 pm

It will only cause hurt feelings:
http://spin.com/new/features/videofeatu ... top50.html?

Myself, I woulda rated Husker Du a lot higher than Blondie...

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Mon May 20, 2002 11:12 pm

Ouch.

Most of the top part of the list I'm okay with, except U2 has been placed too high, imo. But how the hell does Pearl Fucking Jam get placed above David Bowie, The Who and New Order?

And where in God's name are Talking Heads?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue May 21, 2002 10:24 am

Hey, this isn't half bad. P-Funk *and* PE in the Top 10. These guys at Spin aren't as big of wankers as I'd figure.

My serious complaints:
That Patti Smith Group at 22 should be the MC5.
Fela Kuti? How about just James Brown?
Korn, Rage Against The Machine, and The Chili Peppers all deserve to be on the 50 Worst List

Of course, any list is bound to suck--even one I'd compile.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue May 21, 2002 10:34 am

With Korn, as much as I hate the band, I do have to admit they were damn influential. I think they basically fathered a genre of music.

Now, I think the New Metal or Rap-rock or whatever it's being called these days is complete shite; you still have to respect the fact that Korn did it first and with originality.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue May 21, 2002 11:23 am

now did korn really do it first? the first group that springs to mind is faith no more. the influence of "epic" off their breakthrough album "the real thing" back in 1990 is most likely what spurned a lot of people in that direction. add that with the influence of groups like the beastie boys, run dmc, the limbo maniacs, primus, public enemy, red hot chili peppers, and suicidal tendencies and it's no wonder the current crop of new metal came about. korn may have been the first to succeed commercially on a grand scale, and to that they get credited as being influential, but i just don't see such a direct influence beyond shifting industry types to invest capital in bands that look and sound like them.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue May 21, 2002 11:24 am

Faith No More?

Ugh! Bunch of posers. Should have toured with Stone Temple Pilots on the Poserpalloza tour.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue May 21, 2002 2:09 pm

Vit, that's why we love you--and hate you. Faith No More is TRULY the group to blame for all this New Metal crap. And I had completely forgotten about them, despite being a formerly proud owner of their first album. But you had to jog the old memory banks, bringing further shame upon me and my bad taste in music.

Now for a band that did metal/rap well, you need look no further than Anthrax, who I've paid to see three times. And I'm STILL proud of that!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue May 21, 2002 2:18 pm

I can see you dating back to Anthrax and Faith No More as far as influence on a genre goes but I was taking the "top 40" sense of the word.

Nirvana wasn't the first grunge band, yet Nirvana is given credit to be the birth of grunge as a genre. I think the same title applies to Korn.

- prop

ps - Why did his piano explode on the end of the video and leave that fish flopping on the floor?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue May 21, 2002 2:25 pm

I definitely trace it back to PE and Anthrax doing "Bring the Noise." That was where it all started in my mind. And it's also worth mentioning that what starts out so good often turns to shit in the hands of the less creative, daring, intelligent, what-have-you...

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue May 21, 2002 2:41 pm

I'm the Man!

Return to “Rants and Raves”